Upgrade from 1.9.3 to 2.2

Upgrade from 1.9.3 to 2.2

by David Bolger -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have Moodle 1.9.2 running on a 32 bit Debian server.

My users have asked me to upgrade to Moodle 2.2, and my server admin team want to move from 32-bit Debian to 64-bit RedHat Enterprise Linux.

I've got the 64 bit RHEL server configured, and have installed Moodle 1.9.2 on it. I've copied the database from the old server across, along with the contents of the moodle subdirectory and the moodledata subdirectory. I tested this configuration out and everything seems to be working fine on the new server.

All that's left now is the upgrade.

I can see some instructions here for upgrading Moodle, but I'm concerned that making such a large version jump (from 1.9.2 to 2.2) might cause some problems.

Can anybody tell me if there are any known issues going between these versions, or any specific guide for going from 1.9 to 2.x?

Thanks!

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Bolger

Re: Upgrade from 1.9.3 to 2.2

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You might want to start here..at Upgrading, but there are a couple of other docs that are relevant. 

I am not sure of the state of play with RHEL, but it should be OK, as long as PHP and one of the four appropriate DBMS' are installed. I do not think there are any serious issues, but an alternative might be to upgrade on your Debian server to the last v1.9.x release first, then backup and restore this over to the RHEL server before upgrading. Make sure it works by editing the config.php file to reflect the new server location, and if you need to, use the replace.php file to update any old server strings restored. I think the last v1.9 releases were slightly restructured to allow for an easier upgrade to v2.x - or they should have been at least. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Robert Brenstein -
As far as I know, upgrading 1.9.3 to 1.9.19 first is not an option but a requirement for successful upgrade to 2.2. I would also second Colin's suggestion to first get 1.9 working on the new server before going further to 2.2. As you say yourself, it is a big jump. While most people made the transition without much ado, some ran into issues as you can see searching this forum.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Bolger

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

My 2 cents:

+1 to what Robert said - with one addition - 'Git' the 1.9.2 upgraded to 1.9.19.  About 1.9.6 Moodle introduced salted passwords.  Best to work that out in 1.9.x before going to 2.

Any add-ons to 1.9.2 Moodle?  That shouldn't affect the upgrade to 1.9.19, but if those add-ons do, best to get that worked out before attempting the move to 2. That will come into play with the move to 2.  Also, 1.9.x themes are NOT compatible with 2.x - don't even try! ;)

Explaining the 'Git' above ... would seriously consider using git when upgrading the 1.9.2 to 1.9.19.  Learning 'git' now will be beneficial not only moving to 2.x but will sort of 'future proof' ones ability to quickly and efficiently update whatever version for whatever reason ... bug fix or version release.  Version 2 is a 'work in progress'.

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Git_for_Administrators

while the above URL does say 24 the git process works on all versions of Moodle - including your 1.9.x.

The other item ... while 2.2 is required to get to 2.3, would think the eventual goal would be to get to 2.4 (2.4 much improved performance).  Be sure to check requirements for not only PHP but MySQL as well before marching upwards.

One 'catch 22' with RHEL (assuming 6.3) ... the mysql server version.  RH has always been 'conservative' when it comes to 'latest and greatest' of anything.  2.3 and 2.4 of Moodle will require MySQL 5.1.33.  Think, currently, RHEL does have 5.1.66 - but one should do a yum -y update on any new install of OS anyway.  There are ways to get the higher versions installed but one might have to use other repos http://bit.ly/Vj6pST.  That version of MySQL is compat with 1.9.x.  And, like I said, eventually, you'll need the ability to upgrade MySQL when marching onwards and upwards with Moodle.

The other thing I personally find kinda annoying but such is the way with commercial versions ... RHEL entitlements.  Make sure you keep that up-2-date (ie, pay the fee) to assure server isn't vulnerable and so one can get updates to PHP and MySQL.

'spirit of sharing', Ken