How do I change favicon?

How do I change favicon?

by Manuel Costales -
Number of replies: 7

Hello Mary,

How I could change the favicon in the Afterburner theme?

I already replaced the favicon.ico in pix folder, I cleared All Caches in Theme Selector's page, I clicked on Purge all Caches below Development, I refreshed the browser n times, and nothing happen, mi favicon isn't change!

Please, help me!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Manuel Costales

Re: Change header Afterburner Theme v2.2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

The favicon.ico is called directly from theme/afterburner/layout/default.php so if you added a new favicon.ico it needs to be called exactly that. However, if you have done as you say, cleared "theme cache" and "purge all caches", then the only thing you have not done is deleted your own browser cache as this is where it will be stored...on your computer!

If you have done all that and still you are not seeing the change, then try clicking Ctrl + F5 (Control Key plus Function Key 5) on your keyboard, this will force a refresh of all the images including the favicon.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by James Thomas -

Morning Mary,

Doesn't it sound like Michael has put the favicon icon in the wrong folder? which I suspect from his mail and from your "it is called from". Doesn't that mean something like: the browser will read it from this path?

But when you say "be called exactly that" aren't you talking about naming the file?

I hope I'm not being overly pedantic, esp at this time of year smile 

I had wondered why Favicon sometimes worked and sometimes didn't - I did not know that it resided with themes. This leads me to suggest/request a Favicon field in the theme settings. Something like uploading profile pictures - and this would send it to the appropriate folder which normal users might not have access to. 

In my own Moodle site, I can toy with the inner workings of Moodle, but the sites at uni I have no control over - and wouldn't expect it. 

Happy new year

James

In reply to James Thomas

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi James,

Favicons are a pain.  I think the problem is that thay are all called favicon.ico and can change at the drop of a hat! Usually it is just a local cache thing, if I had the URL of the site in question, I would be more likely to see the new icon than Manuel, as his original Moodle favicon is cached on his browser, whereas mine would be the new one.

Happy New Year to you too.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mary, I agree with you.  These favicon's tend to be a problem based in the browser's cache, after one has followed the directions to move the favicon into the correct place.

I changed my favicon on my website a couple months ago and it took my browsers a little while to update it.  I recall reading some information about how to force the change in Firefox, but just waiting awhile was easier.

In reply to Mary Evans

how to change favico of splash theme

by vijaykanth dondapati -

hi 

i am using splash theme how to change the favico of this theme

and where to keep  the new  favico image  which folder path

In reply to vijaykanth dondapati

Re: how to change favico of splash theme

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

The favicon.ico is stored in your moodle/theme/splash/pix directory..

So all you need to do is...

1. rename the old one to favicon_old.ico
  2. add your new one and call is favicon.ico

Hope that helps?

Mary

In reply to Manuel Costales

Re: How do I change favicon?

by Ian Antonio Patterson -

I found this question useful because I was interested in the answers =)

The overall direction of the answers was good. And I'm sure that by now you've figured it out. Just to add however I had the "Essential Theme" installed - what I had to do was replace the favicon.ico file in all locations - i.e. in the existing "standard", "bootstrap" and "essential" folders.

1) In Moodle - Enter theme designer mode (Home > Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings)

2) In FTP (consult your host) - replace favicon.ico - all locations

3) In Moodle - Exit theme designer mode

After a few hours and reloads it worked fine. My next goal is getting my favicon to show when I save the page as shortcut to an iPhone home screen.