General developer forum

Picture of German Valero
Re: Unable to fetch available updates data - unexpected cURL error.
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Thanks for the solution Joseph smile.

I had this problem in my local WAMP server for a few weeks and it had been really frustrating to try to fix it according to Moodle docs. sad.

Your help is greatly needed for updating the documentation in http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Available_update_notifications and http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/SSL_certificate_for_moodle.org

After you update the documentation, it would be very nice if you posted a discussion topic in AMOS, for all translators to append/write those translated documentation pages.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mitja Decman
Odg: Re: Unable to fetch available updates data - unexpected cURL error.

Hi,

we have Windows server, I copied the .crt to moodledata but it didn't work. I tried to go to server, internet explorer, tools options content certificates and I imported the same .crt file and it helped.

My picture
Re: Odg: Re: Unable to fetch available updates data - unexpected cURL error.
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thank God that you can now write again in Moodle forums!

I have Moodle 2.5 installed in CentOS. I have followed Joseph's insrtructions and installed the moodeorgca.crt in /var/www/moodledata folder and restart apache, but still got the same error.

Joseph recommends to install a cert directly in the server root. Can you please explain how to do that?

Thank you very much.

My picture

With the debugger on and displaying all information for developers, I am getting the following error message:

Debug info: cURL error 7: Failed to connect to 2400:cb00:2048:1::8d65:70b3: Network is unreachable
Error code: err_response_curl
Stack trace:
  • line 1175 of /lib/pluginlib.php: available_update_checker_exception thrown
  • line 1061 of /lib/pluginlib.php: call to available_update_checker->get_response()
  • line 535 of /admin/index.php: call to available_update_checker->fetch()

Do you think that it may be a restriction from our proxy?

The cert file is installed in moodledata and the apache server has been restarted.

Please any help would be very appreciated as Turnitin Moodle Direct also needs this certificate

Picture of Ken Task

While it could be related to something proxy, investigate DNS first.   Your error indicates a DNS issue and IPv6.  From terminal use Goolges DNS servers to query for the IPv6 of download.moodle.org:

dig @8.8.8.8 download.moodle.org AAAA

From server location (Austin, Tx) I get:

download.moodle.org.    300    IN    AAAA    2400:cb00:2048:1::8d65:71b3
download.moodle.org.    300    IN    AAAA    2400:cb00:2048:1::8d65:70b3

While it's NOT recommended to make this permanent, one could add Google's DNS servers to resolv.conf - list them first before your normal DNS servers. 

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

The TIA - try it again!

Any entries made in resolv.conf could be commented out by placing a # character at the beginning of the line.  (if successful and you find you need to do this again, just un-comment the lines).

And remember that CloudFlare is in front of download.moodle.org ... could be a temporary 'hick up' there! :|

http://dnsviz.net/d/download.moodle.org/analyze/

'spirit of sharing', Ken

My picture

Thanks, Ken. When I type 'dig @8.8.8.8 download.moodle.org AAAA'

I got the following error:

<<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6 <<>> @8.8.8.8 download.moodle.org                       AAAA
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I think it is a problem of the proxy, is it not?

Picture of Ken Task

Maybe proxy ... could also be a hickup with CloudFlare which sits in front of download.moodle.org and it could be a hickup related to from where your server is physically located on the net also (the way CloudFlare works/or doesn't).

What do you get with:

curl -I http://download.moodle.org

My picture

Thanks, Ken. But the problem is not only for downloading automatic updates, but the connection between Turnitin (Moodle Direct) and Moodle, as Turnitin and Moodle cannot synchronise.

I am having exactly the same error message.

Our students will submit their assignments to Turnitin via Turnitin Assignment, so it is a serious problem for us.

Picture of Ken Task

Ah, soooo!  The plot thickens!  Well let's step back a minute ... site was behind a proxy before, Turnitin and Moodle upgrades worked before.   Is that correct?

If so, what has changed?  Proxy server config?   Don't think the Turnitin nor the Moodle upgrades have changed recently.   Have made it a 'standard practice' now to get the cert into moodledata folder.

See: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/SSL_certificate_for_moodle.org

Not unusual (in my neck of the woods) to get the 'oops' error screen generated by Moodle or Cloudflare :\

That, however, would/might fix the moodle updates only ... not Turnitin (I would think).

So have you checked proxy config/rules/settings and proxy server logs?

'spirit of sharing', Ken