Game module crossword pulling unwanted questions 1.9.4

Game module crossword pulling unwanted questions 1.9.4

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One of my teachers has come across a seriously weird issue.  She created 15 questions in a question bank.  Then she created a crossword game and directed it to that particular question bank.  There are only 15 questions in the course and no question in upper level categories.

When she tests the game, it pulls up questions which don't exist in the question bank.  As far as I can tell, they don't exist at all.  I've searched the database for the questions or parts of the questions and get nothing.  This shouldn't be possible. 

As for my version, which I'm sure someone will say to upgrade...yes, I know.  I'm working on that (July!!!).  But it doesnt solve or even explain the immediate problem.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: Game module crossword pulling unwanted questions 1.9.4

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you play the game as a teacher there is a tab named "Show answers".

There you can see which questions it reads to produce the crossword.

Check again the parameters. Maybe it uses a glossary instead of questions.

Try the tab "Show attempts" and delete the open attempts.

In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

by Melanie Scott -

Today our IT support sat down and dug into this.  The game was set to look at the course question bank but the mystery questions were pulling from a glossary in a different course (in a completely different category!).  When we looked at other games we found the same problem.  We went to the course and there were a couple games.   We deleted the games from the course (it isn't currently in use) and all the games everywhere else started working again.

The problem is solved but we still don't know why it happened.  I have a suspicion that the glossary may have been created with cut/paste from word and the creators may not have cleaned the HTML out.  Sometimes the html from word is pretty ugly.  The only thing I can think of is that there is something weird in the glossary html that when it got pulled into a game it freaked out the whole module.  I have no idea what sort of HTML could do that but it's the only idea I have.  I'm thinking of cleaning up their glossary (apparently I'm an on-line maid) but haven't gotten the chance.

In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

by Melanie Scott -

I haven't looked at all of the glossary entries but of the ones I have looked at, I see paragraph tags and span tags and that's it.  So I think that blows my theory.  Any other ideas?