BTEC marking code available (Pass, Merit, Distinction)

Re: BTEC marking code available (Pass, Merit, Distinction)

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Delighted to have helped. Please let me know if you "use it in anger" with live students.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Carol Hampton -

Hi Craig here again.....

I'm using it in anger with my students and everything is now working great, although I would like the pass criteria to go up to P15.

Thanks in advance

Craig

In reply to Carol Hampton

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In that case I have good news for you. The latest version will allow you to do this.  You can find it in Github at

(it is also in the waiting list for approval in the Moodle plugins database).

You can see the docs describing the change at 

Instead of a dropdown you enter your criteria into a standard text box and it is checked on save to make sure that it is  P, M or D followed by anything that is a number, i.e.  your requested P15.

I spoke to some people at the Edinburgh Moodlemoot (a wonderful event) and they emphasised the need for an arbitrary number of levels.  I intend to update the docs further to emphasise this feature/change.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Craig Bloxsome -

Hi Marcus, when I try to create or edit my grading form the following is happening:

BTEC marking 1

In addition when I mark work, the grade has strted showing as a refer even though I have marked P7, P8, M1 :

Marking 2

I hope you can help!

Craig

In reply to Craig Bloxsome

by Marcus Green -

Can you confirm what version of the code you are using (or at least when you obtained it). I am assuming it is 1.4 where there are no dropdowns for the criteria entry?

A screen shot of editing mode will confirm the big version number for me.

I know where the code is that triggers those warnings, it is just in case someone puts in something like POne (or an invalid variation on the name of a criteria).

Could you elaborate on I have marked "P7, P8, M1, I couldn't see an M1 in your screen shot (perhaps you meant M3?)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

It looks like that error can be triggered if there is a leading space, something that can be fixed in code with a call to trim. I will have a look at updating the code for that (even if it isn't the cause of your error)

In reply to Marcus Green

by Craig Bloxsome -

Sorry I meant M3 

by Marcus Green -

I have just created an assignment attempting to duplicate your screen image and I cannot get that error to manifest. Can you confirm when you got the code?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Craig Bloxsome -

Around June 10th, I believe. (I'm not being vague, but I pass this stuff onto our "Moodle Admin" people (Carol above).

We are using Moodle 2.4 if that helps?

I can't get to the big number for the plugin as I don't have admin rights (I'm but a lowly construction lecturer)

Thanks for all the quick responses by the way Alicia, Carol and I appreciate it.

by Marcus Green -

"I can't get to the big number for the plugin as I don't have admin rights (I'm but a lowly construction lecturer)"

Just the type of person I created this for smile

I have updated the code to improve the validation on save which may help with this issue. The current version is

See if you can get that version of the code installed and try it out. Again many thanks for your feedback it is exactly what I need to iron out any issues. I have extensively tested it myself but there is no substitute for real users doing what real users do.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Craig Bloxsome -

I have the 2012081706 version installed, but I.m still getting the same error message sad

by Marcus Green -
I'm away from broadband on 2G mobile at the moment. Have you tried deleting each item with the x. Saving and then adding in each one and saving to check each one. I have not been able to reproduce your description. Marcus (from Glencoe)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Craig Bloxsome -

Hi Marcus, I get the same message no matter if I try to edit an existing sheet or create a new one from scratch.

by Marcus Green -
Can you email me at marcusavgreen at gmail dot com with a screen shot of a form with 1 criteria e.g p1 and that error showing. MG (on borrowed 3G)

by Richard Price -

Hi Craig,
I can get this error message to appear in version: 2012081708 and Moodle 2.7.1

By adding a new criteria and not filling it in. Even a blank criteria gives the error message.
BTEC Marking Code Error reproduced

If I click the X (to remove that criteria) and then save, no errors. Hope this helps.

In reply to Richard Price

by Marcus Green -
Thanks for the feedback Richard, I should change that message to say something like "You have a blank criteria, please delete by clicking the X". Of course it would be better if it just threw away empty criteria and/or put the error's next to the relevent fields.

Marcus