Is this layout possible without hacking core code?

Is this layout possible without hacking core code?

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Moodlers, just wondering if you could help me with how much work this might be or whether it is even possible without hacking core code.

Our designer has sent us a mockup of how she wants to layout our Moodle course.  As you can see from the attached image, it has tabs for navigating each of the sections, and each item within a section is a clickable image rather than the default hyperlink.

My question for those of you who are experienced in creating custom Moodle Themes is: would such a layout be possible without hacking core code? 

Also, if it is possible, would such a layout be best tackled from the theme or course format angle?

TIA  smile

PS We are using Moodle 2.3.x

Moodle layout

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Is this layout possible without hacking core code?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Take a look at the tab topics  course format here  https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_tabtopics and also the grid course format here https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_grid

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As Mary suggests, I'd probably take a look at the tab topics course format and then add the images/links into the summary section for each topic.

I'd certainly take a look around at the various plugin optinos before considering developing a custom theme or course format for this - and certainly before thinking about hacking core code, shich shouldn't be necessary to achieve what you want smile

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Tim Allen -

Thanks Richard and Mary for the suggestions.  smile
I can see how the tabs can work, but one thing I want to make clear is that the images in that screenshot are supposed to link to individual activities/resources (e.g. a forum in section 2), not to the sections themselves.  So what I am wondering is whether it is possible to hide the activity/resources hyperlinks and replace them with a hyperlinked icon instead, e.g. can  the regular text link for a forum be changed to an icon? 

One thought I have is to create a hidden section and put the "text" links in there, and then copy the urls and link them to the icons displayed in the summary section...thoughtful

In reply to Tim Allen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim. Yes you can do that but not with a "hidden" section as that would not display them, but with an "unseen" section - it's an old trick  - take a look at #7 here http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Course_FAQ Also -if you scroll down a bit in the Language teaching forums here https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=31 you can see an example of using icons to link to specific areas

In reply to Tim Allen

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

hehe - I started answering this directly from my Gmail, but then realised Mary had already said exactly what I was going to write!

Hope it helps Tim smile

Richard

PS To everyone on all the moodle forums - Have a Great Christmas!!

R

In reply to Tim Allen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It all depends on how you are defining a course. If it is just a bunch of pages linked together with images that link to extra reading/resources/test/quizes/ etc., then you could do all that using plain old HTML like any other website.

If however you want to use Moodle as it is intended and how it is programmed to work, then you need to set up your course/s in Moodle and see which pages you need to modify. Then and only then can we tell you if you need to hack that page or create a course format of your own.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Tim Allen

by Tim Allen -

Thanks everyone for your great tips, this gives me some confidence that we are on the right track to go ahead with the design.  

Happy Chrismas, Hanukkah, holidays, or just happy days to all Moodlers!  big grin