Upgrade 2.3.3 to 2.4 - course list is blank for some users

Upgrade 2.3.3 to 2.4 - course list is blank for some users

by Susan Mangan -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

Just upgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.4 and have encountered a strange behavior that we did not see on our development instance.

When a user clicks on My Courses in the Nav menu, moodle automatically re-directs to My Moodle displaying a list of courses.

The problem is that for some users, a blank page is displayed.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out any rhyme or reason as to why this happens for some and not others.  It doesn't seem to have any link with the number of courses.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

I would also really like to just be able to remove the My Moodle access altogether.  We managed a workaround in the previous version by simply hiding the link in the Nav menu but now the link to My Courses goes right to My Moodle sad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Mangan

Re: Upgrade 2.3.3 to 2.4 - course list is blank for some users

by Susan Mangan -

ahhhhhhhhhhh I got it.  ugh.

You have to make sure that the Course Overview block is showing on the default My Moodle page settings.

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Yvonne Mitchell -

Hi Susan

We had the same issue but found a slightly different solution which you may want to try as we found the course overview block rather unwieldy due to the large number of courses per pupil.

Under Appearance - Navigation, check the following boxes

The only resulting issue is that we have to click on the grey arrow rather than the course name to open up the course.

In reply to Yvonne Mitchell

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

We have upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4.1+ and staff have found that if they click on the arrow icons for My courses they see a list of their courses etc. If they click on the text link (beside) the arrow icons they are sent to mymoodle page.

Any text link they click on within My courses will send them to their mymoodle page.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ali Hastie

by Yvonne Mitchell -

Yes, that's exactly what we get too. Very annoying.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Thomas Niedermaier -

To my mind this is a useless and annoying behavior and so I opened up a tracker issue for this case: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37824

In reply to Thomas Niedermaier

by Anton Coltham -

I'm not too sure if this will help anyone (and warning I am a complete hack when it comes to code), but with the help of the Chrome Inspect element feature I found that I could use the css to sort this out.

I added the following to the custom css (as I have no access to the server). This only works for a collapsed branch. Once it is expanded then link will be active again, but by that stage it doesn't matter. (You can't have it for the expanded branch as well because all the links will then be disabled)

/* Remove link from "My course" */
.block_navigation .type_system.depth_2.contains_branch.collapsed a {
pointer-events: none;
cursor: default;
}

I also added the following to remove the unneeded links (got this form another forum post)

/* Remove "Site pages" */
.block_navigation .type_course.depth_2 {
display: none; 
}

/* Remove "My profile" */
.block_navigation .type_user.depth_2 {
display: none;
}

In reply to Thomas Niedermaier

by Susan Mangan -

Hi Thomas, I saw your fix in the tracker but need a bit more info to apply it myself wink

Would you be able to let me know what exactly needs to be updated on what file?

Thanksamillion!!!!!

In reply to Susan Mangan

by Susan Mangan -

Thanks for your message Thomas, I didn't end up using the js.  I did fix it though.

What I ended up doing, in case it helps anyone else here, is to replace this line in lib/navigationlib.php:

$this->rootnodes['mycourses'] = $this->add(get_string('mycourses'), new moodle_url('/my/'), self::TYPE_ROOTNODE, null, 'mycourses');

with this:

$this->rootnodes['mycourses'] = $this->add(get_string('mycourses'), null, self::TYPE_ROOTNODE, null, 'mycourses');