Copy/Pasting into editor leaves carriage returns that become break tags

Copy/Pasting into editor leaves carriage returns that become break tags

Nosūtīja Bill Jones
Atbilžu skaits: 6
Hello,

I've been copying text content from either Word (pasting without formatting) or from a webpage (in Blackboard, where the content is simple, hand-written html code) into the editor wysiwig screen. When I do this into a web-resource page it goes fine. But when I do it into a Forum description block or the Course Summary block in Settings I get a bunch of line breaks.

On very clean code where there was only a lot of text between <p> </p> tags, the line breaks show up in a weird way. They don't happen where the source browser had put them to display the text. Rather, they show up where the text line wrapped inside the wysiwig editor. We've looked inside these text fields in the database and there's not any html code there causing the breaks. The nearest thing we can figure out is that there's an ASCII carriage return that doesn't display that gets carried throughout, and that when these objects get churned into html to make up a page, the script replaces carriage returns with a <br /> tag.

With a lot of messing around, deleting space at the ends lines and such, we can get rid of these, but it's not very clean. Is there anywhere in the php scripts that we can fix it?

Thanks,
Bill Jones

Vidējais novērtējums: -
Atbildot uz Bill Jones

Re: Copy/Pasting into editor leaves carriage returns that become break tags

Nosūtīja Enrique Castro
Core developers attēls Particularly helpful Moodlers attēls
Hi Bill,
I have seen this behaviour sometimes too. But in my case, I had not an static  source file to test from.

You mention you are copying from a Blackboard webpage. Would it be possible to put that page on a zipe here? (or a link to the actual page). Just to have a trusted positive control source and try to investigate and fix the problem.

- Enrique -
Atbildot uz Enrique Castro

Nosūtīja Bill Jones
Enrique,

Thanks for your response.  Open this page and copy the whole discussion assignment (it's in a cell in a table, so only the contents of that cell).  Then paste that into a Forum description.  You'll see the line break after the first few words of every paragraph.

Break Tag Demo page

Nosūtīja Bill Jones
...and here is what it looks like in the discussion area...

Assignments and Activities

Submit Building Analysis

Write your analysis as outlined in the "Analysis Portfolio: Building" assignment description located in the Assignments area. Submit your completed assignment to your instructor in the Digital Dropbox.

Please note: the discussion of this activity takes place this week.

Discussion: Building analysis

Report to your classmates what you wrote about in your building analysis and where your building is located. Do not post your analysis, but reflect on your experiences with the building, the site, or the assignment.
Discussion Participation
Review the reports of your classmates. Reply to at least one other student about his or building analysis; you may wish to choose the same person to whom you responded about his or her visit plan. Think about other ways to connect to the course readings. Are there aspects of the setting or structure that you have questions about? Do you see connections in the students response with the Douglass and Feldman readings? How can you use your insights and experiences to promote these lifelong qualities in your classmates?

To enter the discussion click here

Atbildot uz Bill Jones

Nosūtīja Enrique Castro
Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the test data. I have copied it into a forum description as suggested and is badly malformatted. OK, I needed  something like this to test.

With this, it may me possible to understand what is going on. I will keep you informed of any progress

- Enrique -
Atbildot uz Bill Jones

Nosūtīja Enrique Castro
Hi,
   I  can reliably reproduce the problem with your sample text. However, the behaviour is different in 1.4x and in 1.5. I have not been able to isolate the cause yet. I am filing two bugs: #2927 for 1.4.x  and #2928 for 1.5 just to record the problem and been able to track it later.

- Enrique -

Nosūtīja Bill Jones
Enrique,

Thank you.  I forgot to mention that we're running 1.4.4 here and I'm using Firefox 1.0.

Thanks,
Bill