[How to] Moodle and Google calendar (2 way sync)

[How to] Moodle and Google calendar (2 way sync)

Ankit Agarwal -
Кількість відповідей: 12

So I have seen this being asked in the forums/tracker a few times, and I was playing with the new ical feature in 2.4, to figure out if this was possible. Turns out it is. So this is how you can achieve this:-

• Create a public calendar in google say cal1
  • Create events on cal1 whenever you want
  •  Go to your moodle>calendar>manage subscription
  • create a user(or any other type you want) using the cal1 ical url (can be found in cal settings)
  • Now all your cal1 events are there in moodle
  • Now create a cal2 in google calendar using the export url from your moodle calendar
  • now cal2 has is in complete sync with moodle calendar, and can be used to share with other peoples.
  • to summarise cal2 will show all events that you either create in moodle or in cal1

I know this is not completely ideal situation as one to one sync. But still hope this helps someone.

Thanks

Середня оцінка:Useful (2)
У відповідь на Ankit Agarwal

Re: [How to] Moodle and Google calendar (2 way sync)

Bob Puffer -

I read through your instructions several times and it appears to me you're relying on Google to read an iCal export url in step 6 which is frought with peril.  Google's unreliability at updating from iCal urls is notorious, has been for years and even though they've been pummeled by many who wish they'd get it fixed, it is not fixed yet.  Sometime they update every hour, or so.  Sometimes its days.

У відповідь на Bob Puffer

Ankit Agarwal -

It worked for me, but looking at the google forms, it does look like an issue. That is sad situation.

Emma Furness -

Hi Ankit. Can you give us an update on whether your calendar has been successful or not, considering the potential Google updating problem? Emma

У відповідь на Emma Furness

D. Bade -

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to get a two-way calendar sync by using owncloud. (Because owncloud provides easy two-way sync with clients like thunderbird/lightning or android phones).

I managed to enter the right URL for my owncloud-calendar, and moodle told me that the calendar is imported. I could even find out that all calendar items were properly imported by downloading the ical-file from the moodle-website and opening it on my computer: all dates that should be in the file showed up properly.

BUT: on my moodle-calendar they don't show up. I made sure that I checked all boxes that make all dates show up (global, class, personal...)

What am I doing wrong?

It should be such a nice way to manage the moodle-calendar from my cellphone...

Thank you for your advice,

Doro

Edit: Ok, something else I just found out: the imported calendar is actually just a link from owncloud that shows up on moodle when I click on "Manage subscriptions". So if I "download" the calendar from there, what I eventually do is download it directly from owncloud. Still I don't know why moodle doesn't show the data in the calendar. Importing works fine, if I simply upload an .ics file. But then the calendar doesn't get synchronized automatically. сумую

У відповідь на D. Bade

Kimberly Noseworthy -

I too am having problems with this.  It should be so easy, shouldn't it?  Just can't seem to get it to work...

Will Roberts -

Just wondering if anyone has got two-way calendar syncing working with Moodle.

I would like to sync with Google calendar so that I can then use Google calendar to sync with another website or Lightening (extension to Thunderbird).

Not import/export.  That is just too clumsy.

У відповідь на Will Roberts

Ron Ateshian -

I too am seeking a solution to this. Would like to avoid conflicts in instructor's schedules as well as ensure a seamless experience for students. Thanks in advance.