A first encounter with the Wiki module

A first encounter with the Wiki module

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I have deployed Wiki too hastily and ran into the following difficulties:

a. The students were supposed to use ellipses like [...] to mean ommited text. All these have been converted to ... ? sad

b. For an unknown reason, students have created multiple Wiki-pages. And they have difficulties in finding their work again sad(

Our setup is pretty simple: For a certain exercise each student is supposed to maintain his/her own wiki-page. The trainer writes his comments on the _same_ wiki, which the students then intergrate into their work. The students can _read_ other wikis at any time.

The course is set to Groupmode=visible groups and force group mode=no. In the Wiki HTML-mode=HTML-only, wiki-type=student

On the edit view I see a "group icon" (two busts) behind the Wiki-symbol.

Question 1: Can I deaktivate the Wiki-mark up entirely?

Question 2: Are the settings above correct for my plan?

Question 3: I want to do a clean-up since the students and teachers are lost in the Wiki jungle sad I though of exporting the Wikis, delete them, recreate and add the text. Since there are only 14 students affordable. Is there a better way of doing this?

Question 4: It is planned to give the students _another_ Wiki to work in groups of two. The students are supposed to find a parner. What is the best way of doing this? For example, can they register the groups themselves?

Apart from this Wiki-debacle I am very happy with the whole design and look-and-feel of moodle. Many thanks!

Visvanath.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: A first encounter with the Wiki module

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Got it all sorted out thanks to Ralf Hilgenstock here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18811 (bottom of the discussion)

(my translation)

"Question 1: Can I deaktivate the Wiki-mark up entirely?"

No. We hat to change the notation [...] to (...)
Sidenote: The correct term is "mark down".

"Question 2: Are the settings above correct for my plan?"

They were correct.

The confution occured probably because the type of the course "visible groups" was set _after_ the wiki was created.

"Question 3: I want to do a clean-up since the students and teachers are lost in the Wiki jungle sad I though of exporting the Wikis, delete them, recreate and add the text. Since there are only 14 students affordable. Is there a better way of doing this?"

May be.

But I didn't want to take any chances:
- exported each student's wiki
- deactivated the old wiki
- created a new one
- added the old text manually to each student's wiki

For a class of 15 that was OK. It had the pleasent side effect, that I could clean some horrible mark up generated by MS Word cut-and-pasted to WYSISWYG editor.

"Question 4: It is planned to give the students _another_ Wiki to work in groups of two. The students are supposed to find a parner. What is the best way of doing this? For example, can they register the groups themselves?"

Created a "group wiki" (after I have set the course type). Works perfectly.

best regards
Visvanath.