Extracting student engagement data from Moodle

Extracting student engagement data from Moodle

by Mark Glynn -
Number of replies: 8

We are a university currently going through the upgrade process to Moodle 2. One of the challenges that I have been set is to get Moodle to generate a report on students engagement with their Moodle courses. The aim is to use this data to highlight, as early as possible, students that are "at risk" of dropping out or failing their course. I understand that some custom reports may have to be built but I would appreciate any advice from the Moodle Community on what sort of data should I collect and indeed any other advice that you deem relevant.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Glynn

Απάντηση: Extracting student engagement data from Moodle

by John Dimopoulos -

Hello Mark,

You may want to check this plugin...

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=gradingform_erubric

You can find detailed documentation and video tutorials on how to use it, in the page above.

Regards,

John

Ps. If you would like, you can download the latest version from the attached file...

In reply to Mark Glynn

Re: Extracting student engagement data from Moodle

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is actually a major focus for core development in Moodle 2.5 and 2.6.  

We are going to be completely overhauling the logging system first, and then building new frameworks for reporting, analytics and competency tracking on top of that.   I'll be posting here soon with some draft specs for everyone to discuss.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Glynn -
Any update on this Martin. Im very keen to have a comprehensive way to measure students engagement on Moodle. Thanks in advance Mark

by Mark Glynn -
Any update on this Martin. Im very keen to have a comprehensive way to measure students engagement on Moodle. Thanks in advance Mark

by Ashish Dutt -

Perhaps this is the thread that i should be posting in!

@Martin, Could you tell when is that new framework on reporting, analytics etc will be established? I sure would like to join it

@Mark, this sure is a very interesting topic and my research is based on the same, it will be great to discuss more on it

In reply to Ashish Dutt

by Mark Glynn -

I'd be delighted to chat. Give me a shout off list and we can go from there

Mark

Mark dot Glynn at dcu dot .ie

In reply to Ashish Dutt

by Mark Glynn -

I'd be delighted to chat. Give me a shout off list and we can go from there

Mark

Mark dot Glynn at dcu dot .ie