Chatlet

Chatlet

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 0
After looking into Jamie's flash module I realised I was better paddling in the shallows of flash/php/mysql comms before getting to grips with this module.  To teach myself the basics of getting flash to talk to mysql tables I have reproduced a nice little feature called chatlets found in a UK Open Uni course called Systems thinking (T205 code).  In a normal self assesment question you click a link to find the tutors answer to a question after thinking of an answer for yourself.  In a chatlet you make a comment and see what the tutor thought and everyone else too. 

Of course you could make a link to a specially created forum but I think the immediacy of putting the chatlet in the content adds something.

I've zipped up the files you need including the .fla.  To use you'll need to create a table in mysql (instructions in php file) and post the php, swf and html file all to the same directory on your server.  The html is an example of our content.

I'd be pleased if people wanted to take this further, my code could probably be tighter and I haven't thought a great deal about the sequence of typing, posting and reading comments.  I've done it in flash for the sake of working it out but it may well be better done in php alone.

Over to you

Richard
Average of ratings: -