Google Docs Folders

Google Docs Folders

by David Colucci -
Number of replies: 11

I've built my entire Moodle site from scratch.  It's a gem; truly, I love it.  So, first thanks to the community for the awesomeness.  You've already helped me get to almost GO LIVE, and without one forum post on here!!!  I have many plugins and customizations.  It's solid.

That being said, I have but one question to which it is difficult to find an answer.

Does the Google Docs (or Drive) repository in Moodle provide a way to view the corresponding folders?  All that I see is a splattering of all my files in one directory in Moodle.  My folders in Google Drive are organized in Folders.  Screenshots attached.

I need to see all of my folders in order to use the Google Repository effectively.  Would someone be able to help with this problem?

Attachment screen1.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Colucci

Re: Google Docs Folders

by Kalin Wilburn -

Did you ever get any reply or further information regarding this?

In reply to Kalin Wilburn

by David Colucci -

No.  Just posted it this morning.  Are you have the same issue?

by Kalin Wilburn -

Yes, I am experiencing the same problem.  Like you I have my Google Docs in folders but don't see the items in folders when I choose the Google upload option.  Now though I am not even getting the Google upload option even though it is enabled and visible so I am unsure what is going on.  We are on 2.2

by David Colucci -

Are you sure its 2.2?  

If you're a Moodlerooms customer, you may have been upgraded to 2.3.  In which case you need to do some work.  Check Site Administration -> Notification.

If you are still on 2.2, then it's likely a configuration issue.

If you are now on 2.3, then you have to do this: 

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Google_OAuth_2.0_setup

by Kalin Wilburn -

We definitely are on 2.2 and we are currently waiting to update to 2.3.  The Google repository was working fine but it has suddenly disappeared and I am unsure what has changed to make it go away. 

by Rob Johnson -

If you look at my reply to your previous post, I linked to a discussion that references a bug in some versions of 2.2.  It sounds like what you are experiencing.

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Kalin,

There was a bug with GDocs and Moodle 2.2.4 that sounds like what you describe.  Please see this discussion.  It was fixed in 2.2.5.  There is a patch in the tracker if you are not able to upgrade.  Do keep in mind that the authentication method used by 2.2 for Google Docs access will stop working in April 2013.  You will need to upgrade to 2.3 or 2.4, and use the Oauth method David linked to in the Moodle Docs.

by Dan Poltawski -

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately the ability to use folders with the google docs repository is a missing feature which has been the case since I originally developed it. I don't recall seeing another feature request for this, so its probably worth voting for David's issue requesting we add this: MDL-37217

However, as this is a google product the search works very well, and even searches the contents of your documents if you need to find something, so i'd encourage you to try that too smile

Dan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by David Colucci -

The search does work well.  Teachers, for the most part, are more used to navigating folders and seeing files.  Our instructors tend to deal with ten's and sometimes hundreds of files during a given semester.  Much easier to organize files in a file cabinet then it is to search your own bucket when you can't remember the file name or data-within.

Anyway, we are very excited to see the browse by navigation in place here at the university.  It looks like we are very close to completing the integration.  Thank you Dan and the rest of the Moodle team!!!