Page not displaying fully

Page not displaying fully

by Vijay N -
Number of replies: 11

Hi All,

Moodle 1.9.7

I seem to have stumbled an issue after cloning a live site.

The page under Site Administrator/ courses/ enrolments donot display fully. 

I have attached the 2 screenshots in the zipped folder to this post for more information. 

Please can some one advice on what could be causing this? Is this a report.php issue under the theme or is it something else (considering this is an exact copy of a working site as shown on the report1.png screenshot.)

Look forward to some help with this issue...

VJ

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vijay N

Re: Page not displaying fully

by Richard Crawford -

Hi VJ,

Have you enabled debugging to see if there's a code issue at work here?

One thing that got me when migrating our 1.9.3 site to a new server was PHP versions. Moodle 1.9 will NOT run properly with PHP 5.3+. You may want to double check your hosting environment on this.

In reply to Richard Crawford

by Vijay N -

Hi Richard,

I check the server environment and the php version is 5.3.3 - but the server environment doe not show this as bad thing. On the environment it says "OK" next to php version.

In reply to Vijay N

by Vijay N -

OK, a new problem has occured now, the below fatal error code is generated when trying to access with debugging on in an activity grade:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 75 bytes) in /var/www/html/....../moodle/lib/dmllib.php on line 838

I increased the php memory size to 150Mb from 128 MB on php config file to see if it made any difference but the only thing that happened was the above value: 134217728 increased to 154217728

In reply to Vijay N

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The error tells you almost exactly what is needed - 'tried to allocate 75 bytes'.  That means 134217728 was only 75 bytes short.  One can go beyond limits if on a shared system.  If remotely hosted on a shared system check with hosting provider as to limits on PHP.  If remotely hosted on a dedicated (not shared system) there still might be limits so increase 128M to something slightly higher ... say 132M.

PHP scripts might also need increases in the following (add 30 seconds):

max_input_time

max_execution_time

and one more:

max_input_vars = 5000

Uhhh, while you're at it, might consider taking the 1.9.7 to the highest/most secure 1.9.19.  Believe that is also the recommended first step when beginning migration to version 2.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Hubert Chathi -

It just means that "134217728 was only 75 bytes short" when it was trying to execute that particular piece of code.  It is no guarantee that 134217738 + 75 bytes will be enough.  Chances are that it will need more memory later on.

But yeah, the error message tells you exactly what you need: more memory.

In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Vijay N -

Hi Ken and Hubert,

Thank you for the above solution. But if you notice my last sentence on my post, the value has increased after I got my Moodle hosting provider to set the memory limit to  150 MB:

Here is the new fatal error code:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 157286400 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 82 bytes) in /var/www/html/olaamericas.rics.org/httpdocs/lib/dmllib.php on line 838

Can anyone help with this please??

V

In reply to Vijay N

by Ken Task -

No other errors in any logs?  What (exactly) is the setup with that hosting provider?  Dedicated/Shared? etc.

PHP version, a look at phpinfo from Moodle?

Finally unzipped the zip to see the 2 images ... uhhh, please post the images as images ... no zips next time.

Explain your default enrollment setup please.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Vijay N -

Hi Ken,

No other error logs when using Developer debugging mode. - Setup is dedicated server for this site.

PHP Version 5.3.3

Regarding the zipped images, please note that I can only upload one image on this forum in the same post - so to reduce the number of post, I zipped it together. I always advice my students to zip files when uploading multiple files on forums or assignments - its moodle recommended.  

Default enrolment is manual enrolment

In reply to Vijay N

by Ken Task -

Moodle recommended or not ... zips could contain anything.  Hmmmm ... why not combine the two images into one?  Ok, that's 'tacky' I know, now to the problem ...

In report1.png I see that 'flat file' is checked.  That has to be configured.  So in the clone has that been setup the same as production server?

Don't know if 'flat file' enrolment is part of course backups or not ... don't have 'flat file' enrolment checked in the 1.9's I administer.  Kinda strange that even though you've increased the max memory for the script, the backup process still kicks back just slightly over what is needed and since: 1) running an older version which might need updating to highest/most secure 2) enrolments are per course.

I see this notice in config of flat file:

'This method will repeatedly check for and process a specially-formatted text file in the location that you specify. The file is a comma separated file assumed to have four or six fields per line:' ... blah, blah, blah, AND in the config of 'flat file' there are is a variable: enrol_flatfilelocation
 which appears to be full path/name of file kinda thing.

I could be way off base here, too!  On the clone, however, what would hurt to turn off (ie, not select) 'flat file' and then also check the courses that are having issues with backups to assure they are not set to use 'flat file'.  There are some options which don't show IF things are not turned on.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Vijay N

by Hubert Chathi -

Yes, I did notice your last sentence, but if it's still giving you the same error, then you still need more memory.  22MB isn't much extra memory.  I would try doubling the amount of memory to 256MB, if you can.

In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Vijay N -

Hi Guys,

Hubert's solution was the answer. I asked my hosting provider to bump up to 256 MB. This seems to have sorted the problem. 

Mission accomplished...ready for new missions.

Thanks everyone for your help on this

VJ