Why is the word Assignment appearing at the top of each grade column?

Why is the word Assignment appearing at the top of each grade column?

by Gary Sutcliff -
Number of replies: 7

It prevents me from seeing the name of the assignment unless I click on the cell and see the whole name.  Is there a way to prevent this automatic entry of the word?

In reply to Gary Sutcliff

Re: Why is the word Assignment appearing at the top of each grade column?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I guess I need to add more information.  Here is the export of grades to Excel.  See how the columns are prevented from identification because the word Assignment is there pushing the assignment name to the right and not visible unless I click on the column title or expand its width.

Would it not be just as useful if "Assignment" was condensed to just "A"?

Maybe this is not a grade book issue.  Should I repost this into the Developer's area?

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you called these Assignments "assignments" on the course page? Can you rename them to A1, A2 and so on?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

If I had called the assignments "Assignment" then would not "Assignment" have shown up for assignments everywhere else? I do not see "Assignment" on the course page.  It is not in grading column names.  It only shows up in the column name when I export to Excel.  (I may not have been clear about this earlier. It only happens when I export the grades.)

Apparently others are not seeing this.  Might there be a switch that is not being set to prevent this for my exports to Excel?  Every Quiz also has Quiz attached to the column title.

Here is a better pic of it.  The word "Assignment;" is not in my title for any assignment yet it shows up here in the spread sheet.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah yes sorry; I see what you mean; it seems that Moodle is naming whatever type of graded activity  you have there when  you download as Excel. I can't see how to stop them exporting like that to Excel; I suppose you'd just have to remove the word Assignment once you have got your Excel file which would be a quick job.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Not a quick job when you have 50+ columns, 4 courses, and the number of times I run the export. Fortunately there are tools in Excel such as find/replace that help but it still requires a regiment of finger and mouse calisthenics every time.

Maybe this is a question for the developers forum  and whether or not many people use the export-to-excel option.

by Paula Clough -

Steve,

In Excel, do a find and replace with Assignment in the find area and nothing in the find.  Then click replace all.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Yes, I have been doing that, and doing that, and doing that, and doing that.
It is the reason I posted the question.  (-:

Is there not some way to teach Moodle that the addition is not wanted in the export?
It gets tagged on there some how....  Is there any reason it is on there in the first place?
I have heard it is a remnant of ancient technology.