Can't access students' quiz results

Can't access students' quiz results

by Tim Patterson -
Number of replies: 24

Two of my students have submitted and finished a Quiz I set up for them, but neither was I notified nor am I able to access their quizes.  Can someone help me with this.  I made sure they were subscribed to the Quiz as Students and I as the Teacher.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Patterson

Re: Can't access students' quiz results

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't give us much information to go on. Which version of Moodle are you using? What did you try in order to access the student's quiz attempts? Why do you expect Moodle to send you and email notification? Did you set it up?

Perhaps these will help:

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Patterson -

I am not sure of the version I have.  How can I find out?

I went to the Quiz I had set up and clicked on the Results tab.  It says "Attempts: 0".  I know that two students took it.

I guess I expect Moodle to do this since it does so for the Assignments.  But I guess there IS no box to tick in the Quiz set up which tells me it till do this.

I did make the quiz and in the past I was able to see Quiz results with other quizzes, but this no longer happens.

Not long ago I was having problems seeing Assignments students had done and come to find out there were some changes made on Moodle's end that I had not known about.  My tech person who lives in another country nine time zones apart helped me get this worked out.  So far, however, she has not been able to solve this quiz problem.

Thus, my plea for help.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

To find the Moodle version you are using, if you are the administrator of your Moodle, in recent versions of Moodle go to "Site administration" then "Notifications" using the menu (this menu item is only shown to Administrators so if you don't see it you aren't an administrator of your Moodle). In old Moodle versions, there is a site administration block on the home page of the Moodle (but you must be administrator to see it) and there is a Notifications link in it.

If you are not the administator of your Moodle, better to ask this person to do it for you.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Tim Patterson -

Hello Jean-Michel.

Thanks for your response.  I am the administrator and have looked to see my version according to your instructions.  I see I have version 1.9.7.

Tim

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Tim,

Fist thing you must be aware is that your Moodle version is very old (more than 3 years) so a lot of informations you will find is not relevant to your Moodle version.

For your Moodle version the documentation to access the quiz reports and see your students results is here : http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Quiz_reports

by Tim Patterson -

For your Moodle version the documentation to access the quiz reports and see your students results is here : http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Quiz_reports

When I click to show all students it will only show me, but not the two other students.  They have taken the quiz, saved and submitted it.

by Tim Patterson -

Jean-Michel,

I contacted my tech support person who replied that the infomation you sent is "useless"  and "We already knew that."  She also said that if we were to upgrade our Moodle it would take a whole lot of work and there would be new problems encountered.

Can you tell me what else I can do to see the quiz module work for me as it used to in the past?

Tim

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim can you go to Site administration>Grades>General settings and make sure that you have student ticked/checked there for "Graded roles"?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Patterson -

Thanks for your input, Mary.

But, I did look and the Student box for Graded Roles was already ticked.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

What can I say ?

I know this kind of tech people and I know arguing with them is "useless" smile

But I fail to see how upgrading from 1.9.7 to 1.9.19+ could be a lot of work and how she know there would be new problems encountered.surprise

I suppose she was thinking I suggested to upgrade from 1.9.7 to some 2.x version wich of course would mean a lot more work (but nothing a tech person should not be able to handle IMHO)

The only thing I can suggest is to try to activate debugging (see http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Debugging) and see if, when you are on the report page, any error message is displayed.

Maybe Tim Hunt or somebody else will have a better idea ?

by Tim Patterson -

When I went to your suggested debugging link I got a notice that the page I sought no longer exists.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Sorry, the problem is the closing parenthesis and that stupid forum that includes it in the link !

I give it again :

http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Debugging

by Tim Patterson -

Thanks, I tried it, but it did not seem to produce anything for me.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim. You say that you are the Moodle admin of the site? Then go to Site administration>Users>Accounts>Browse list of users and click on the name of  a student you know is in the course. You should see a button at the bottom of their profile details "log in as" If you don't see this then either you don't have admin rights or this facility has been removed from the admin role.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Patterson -

Thank you, Mary.  That is helpful.  I didn't realize that I could do this.

Well, I logged in as both of my students and went to the quiz and tcked the Results tab.  In both cases, I get a "Attempts:0" and "Nothing to display".  I do know they have taken the Quiz, for one of them told me that she was able to see her results.

I strongly suspect that there is a deeper problem. The reason I say this is that about a month ago I was no longer able to access Assignments my students were submitting in two other courses.  When I would go to the Assignment page it would say "Nothing to display", but I know that the students had submitted them.  I came to the Moodle forum and was able to get some "code" that I passed on to my Tech person who then applied it and solved the problem.

These were the instructions that worked for that problem.

1. Edit "lib.php" with NotePad++ or other editor
  2. Research this code (in red) with this code (in blue)

COALESCE(SIGN(SIGN(s.timemarked) + SIGN)s.timemarked - timemodified)), 0) As status';

COALESCE(SIGN(CAST(s.timemarked as SIGNED) + SIGN(CAST(s.timemarked as SIGNED) - CAST(s.timemodified as SIGNED))), 0) AS status';

Save your file (lib.php) and upload in the place of the server.

Mind you, this made no sense to me, but my tech person understood what to do and between the code and her application of it the problem was fixed.  As to why we had the problem in the first place, I still do not know.

Seems like we need a new code for this problem recentlt encountered.

Tim

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Tim, Do you know what database (MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, Postgres) your website is using ?

by Tim Patterson -

Hi Jean-Michel.

No I do not.  Can you tell me how I might be able to find out?

Tim

by Tim Patterson -

Jean-Michel,

Did you see my last reply?

Tim

by Tim Patterson -

Jean-Michel,

I asked my tech support person and she said that she thinks we are using MySQL.

Tim

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Tim,

Sorry it took so long to answer your question, but I was very busy with end of semester exams and also I must confess I didn't rmemeber where that information was available in Moodle 1.9 so I had to install a Moodle 1.9 website on a local machine just to be sure !

You can find what database you use by going to the homepage then in the site administration block your click on Server then Environment and the database is displayed in the database line of the table.

If you are running MySQl, something that would be worth trying would be to apply this patch

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/71ec5d19df4f506ca810cd55e25ebca4c5b94962

because looking at the history this is the only change I see on the MOODLE_19_STABLE branch that could resolve your problem. But

• I am not sure it will solve your problem
  • I am not even should it will not break something so better to save the mod/quiz/report/overview/report.php file before making that change !!

Giving the above adress to your tech person should be enough for her to apply the patch.

Despite what she says I still think you should upgrade because this is one of the zillions bugs that were solved since Moodle 1.9.7, and staying at Moodle 1.9.7 you are missing all the good work done by Moodle developers during several years. But all upgrade fom one branch to another one should not be carried during school time, better to do that during summer break when there are no students enrolled in courses. So not now but to be considered when you can.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Start by checking the logs and making sure that the students have actually taken the quiz.  I know they said they did but, believe it or not, students aren't always exactly truthful!

Then, try logging in as one of the students and go to the quiz and see what it says - it the attempt still in progress?  (Perhaps they missed a final submit button) Does it say that they have attempted it and cannot take it again?  (this would then point to a problem somewhere else)

That will help narrow it down some.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Patterson -

Hello Emma.

I think my students are truthful, they have nothing to lose by not being so.  The course is free and they earn no credits.

Yes, there is record of the quiz being taken, but when I click on the quiz report, I get a "Nothing to display" message.

I cannot login as one of my students unless I have their password.

I did go to their Acitivity Reports/Allogs and see Quiz Report, Quiz Review and Quiz Attempt options.  I can see the results for one, but not the other.

This process seems all so cumbersome.  When I first began to use Moodle 6 years ago I did not have this problem with Quizes, but then I stopped doing Moodle quizes for a few years and just had them do them by Word.doc.  Recently I decided to give them another go, but have encountered these problems.  Very frustrating.sad

by Mary Cooch -

Tim - you say you are the Moodle admin? Well then you can log in as anyone without needing their password. Just click on their name and you will see the option "log in as" If you can't see this in the course it might be because you have added yourself as teacher. Remove yourself from the teacher role and then log in as them.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Patterson -

Mary,

I do not understand your suggestion.  If I try to login with my student's username, it asks for a passwrod, which I do not have.  The program  does not know that I am the admin. unless I Login as such.  But then I cannot log in as my student.  I'm sorry, but I am not following you here.