Capability not working as expected

Capability not working as expected

by Conn Warwicker -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I've been trying to get my head around how Moodle actually uses capabilities and contexts and such, but I've run into something strange that has thrown me completely and I have no idea what's going on.

I have created a few test capabilities:

'block/elbp_timetable:student' => array(
   'captype' => 'read',
   'contextlevel' => CONTEXT_BLOCK,
   'legacy' => array(
     'student' => CAP_ALLOW,
   )
)

'block/elbp_timetable:teacher' => array(
   'captype' => 'read',
   'legacy' => array(
     'teacher' => CAP_ALLOW,
     'editingteacher' => CAP_ALLOW
   )
)

'block/elbp:elbp_teacher' => array(
   'captype' => 'read',
   'legacy' => array(
      'teacher' => CAP_ALLOW,
      'editingteacher' => CAP_ALLOW
   )
)

As you can see the first two capabilities are defined in block "elbp_timetable", whilst the 3rd is defined in the block "elbp".

If I test capability #1 against Course ID 2, that works perfectly fine, it returns true if the user in question is a student on that course and false otherwise.

If I test capability #3 against Course ID 2, again that works fine, it returns true if the user in question is a teacher or non-editing teacher on that course, and false otherwise.

However, if I try it with capability #2 (which apart from the name and component) is identical to capability #3, it does not work. It returns false for a teacher who is indeed on that course, when it should return true.

I've gone into Adminsitration -> Define Roles and the teacher and editingteacher roles both have that "elbp_timetable:teacher" set to Allow, so there's nothing wrong there.

I just can't see why it works fine for one capability but not for an identical one in a different block, since I'm testing against the context of a course, the block itself isn't even relevant.

Could any shed any light on where I'm going wrong with this? 

Cheers.

Average of ratings: -