server check problems - 2.4 install

server check problems - 2.4 install

by Jonathan Rider -
Number of replies: 1

I'm new to Moodle and am not very computer savvy.

I have tried and failed several times installing the latest Moodle on a subdomain in my website - with the intention of using it related to a course I am teaching (mainly to streamline quizzes).

I have now set up a WAMP on my computer and got to the server check page - a couple of issues both relating to php settings. My intention is to get moodle running and migrate it to my website later.

I have changed the php.ini file as per hyperlinked instructions, restarted Apache - and still get the same result on the server check page.

My php start page does not list the 2 extensions required and I am unable to find where to enable them - can anyone help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Rider

Re: server check problems - 2.4 install

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Jonathon, it always helps to provide as much information as you can about your problem so it would be helpful to name the extensions you are missing. Also the version number of PHP as well (there are instructions below on how to get that.)

In your PHP folder there is a sub-folder named /etc and all the *.dll files you need should be in there. If they are then look for the same name files in the php.ini file and uncomment them, as stated in the Docs. However, you cannot enable them if they are not there. You might want to go into your sever root folder and create a file and call it info.php. Put the following code into it:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Then save it, open your browser and enter the line

http://localhost/info.php   (If you use "localhost" as your url, or whatever the server address is.)

The very first line should read "PHP Version 5.3.x" and if it is not then you need to download the latest version of PHP and use that. Edit the php.ini file and the Apache http.conf file if needed. The Path statement should not be required change if you are using the same folder. 

That should get you past the PHP checking page,