"side-by-side" workflow feature request

"side-by-side" workflow feature request

by Tania L -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

Moodle is a great tool.  One improvement I would love to see is  a "side-by-side" feature that allows teachers to preview their changes  on the same screen as they work.  This would greatly reduce the number of clicks that instructors when editing and creating activtiies.

An example of a possible solution is something like the workflow in Windows operating system environments.  See screenshot below.

I imagine that the new moodle feature or perhaps it could be a new moodle theme template (?) could have it so that the user can see the "settings block" on the far left.  THey could edit in the middle column,  and then they could see a preview of how the page will appear on the far right. 

Another option could have a preview "toggle" on/off switch so that the instructor can see how their changes would affect the page before they click save and return to course.

If this already exists, please let me know. I'd love to explore easier workflow options.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tania L

Re: "side-by-side" workflow feature request

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This seems a good idea, but I expect that screen real estate issues might limit its effectiveness. If using a desktop, then a dual monitor is easy enough to set up. If a laptop and a data projector, the same can apply. One of the coolest setups I have ever seen was a PC and a 48inch plasma TV.. looked brilliant I can tell you but I am pretty sure that the box had two video cards in it. Something like you suggest would then be practical. The newer widescreen monitors could do that too, but not everyone has access to that kind of technology yet. Good luck.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: "side-by-side" workflow feature request

by Tania L -

Thanks for explaining the challenges with this idea. I'm not a technie by trade so any explaination helps to think this idea through practically.

I work at a school where the faculty often change their course pages during the semester and comment "one of the drawbacks" of moodle is the number of clicks they have to do - (including turning on the editing button ) just to make a spelling change and date change.

ALthough a big improvement is the drag-and-drop feature (many faculty love this time saving feature!)

Hopefully, the moodle developers could have an easier workflow design for future moodle versions.