Each Attempt Builds on the Last behavior

Each Attempt Builds on the Last behavior

by Ric Messier -
Number of replies: 3

I've been working with a local middle school to help them implement Moodle. The math teachers have started using it and I helped them do a quiz. They typically allow the students to fix the errors in the quiz on a second attempt for half credit. It looked to me (never having built a quiz that did something like that before) as though Each Attempt Builds on the Last would be the way to fix that. I'd expect, though, that each attempt builds on the last would do something about removing questions that were already correct or at least showing that some of the questions already had correct answers. Neither of these seems to be the case so I can't see what good enabling that setting does. The documentation isn't very explicit (a use case would be helpful) and setting some quizzes up on a sandbox server to see the behavior hasn't shown me anything. So, I guess two questions.

a)  Is there a way to have students take a quiz to correct previously wrong answers without having to write down every answer they previously had and effectively re-take the entire quiz again?

b)  How does Each Attempt Builds on the Last actually work and what is the use case it was designed to fulfill?

Thanks,

Ric

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ric Messier

Re: Each Attempt Builds on the Last behavior

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Rather than using each attempt builds on last, and alternative is to add one Hint to each question, and then use the 'Interactive with multiple tries' option for 'How questions behave'.

a) no this is not currently possible, but this feature has been requested before, so there is a tracker issue you can vote for.

b) the each attempt builds on last feature was added remarkably early in teh quiz's history (August 2003, http://docs.moodle.org/dev/History_of_the_Moodle_quiz_and_question_bank). That was before my time. 

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ric Messier -

Thanks, Tim. They want the kids to be able to justify their answers if they change them in the second attempt -- the writing and justification helps ingrain the learning. Interactive is good but ideally there would be a way to make notes on a question on top of that. They may need to rethink how they give tests or go back to paper. I'll work on how they could implement the interactive feature, though. 

Ric

In reply to Ric Messier

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't understand how the each attempt builds on last option lets students jsutify their answer if they change it either.