Installation help

Picture of Darren Andrews
Re: Upgrading from 1.9.9 to 2.2.6

The update scripts have now completed successfully. I clicked the continue button at the bottom and got to the screen with the new settings options. Assuming I can spend the time and tweak the settings later, I scroll to the bottom and click the button to accept and continue. When I enter my login credentials, I get

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Now, here's the odd thing. When I am not logged in, I can click on a public forum and see the messages. This is showing me that moodle is connecting to the database and pulling results. So I am suspecting that the config file is not being loaded by the /admin/index.php script. To test this, I added a new mysql user, and granted all permissions to the moodle database and tables. I updated this information in the config.php, closed my browser to clear the session so I can now see the login page again, and verified that the public forum is still accessible. It is. However when I log in, I still see "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" when I should be seeing "Access denied for user 'newuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)".

Any advice?

Average of ratings: -

some additional troubleshooting information. As mentioned above, when not logged in, I can view public forums. If I log in using the link at the top while on the public forum page, I can log in. It drops me into administration mode for the forum. I can also access most other content EXCEPT when I click on the home button or any link with /admin/ in it. For those links, I see Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Further digging in the admin\index.php reveals that the database error occur on the last line

echo $output->admin_notifications_page($maturity, $insecuredataroot, $errorsdisplayed,
        $cronoverdue, $dbproblems, $maintenancemode);

if I display the $CFG->dbuser, I see the proper user in the config file. Now I am stumped.

I have tracked the problem down to a custom block we wrote for the client. It looks like DB connectivity has changed between 1.9 and 2.2.

I have removed the block so I can do some testing but the site now renders normally.

Again thanks for the help.

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Glad to hear it.

Curious ... why the move from Linux to Windows?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Personally, I would have preferred to stick with linux but the client had made the internal decision to set up a Microsoft Virtualization Server. I just go with the flow and make it work smile