Installation help

Picture of Darren Andrews
Upgrading from 1.9.9 to 2.2.6

I am trying to upgrade our Moodle from 1.9.9 to 2.2.6 and I am getting an Incorrect pool file content error. I see that many have experienced this error and I tracked down why it is occurring, but I am at a loss how to fix.

First some background: we are migrating from a LAMP server to a WAMP server. The WAMP server configuration is: Windows Server 2008 R2, Apache 2.2.22/SSL (32-bit), PHP 5.4.9 (32-bit), MySQL 5.1.66 (32-bit). All drives on the server are NTFS formatted.

We have successfully installed Moodle 2.2.6 base on that server (from scratch, no upgrade). We have also successfully performed the 1.9.9 to 2.2.6 upgrade on a test server when all user content in moodledata/ folder has been removed. The error occurs when we keep all the user content in the moodledata/ folder. The moodledata/ folder is approximately 450GB and contains all user data (tests, submissions, etc) since we set it up approximately 5 years ago.

Now on to the error. The exact error is Incorrect pool file content eb3d53c3dadf6290b02d8a57ee1e8546bea51d90. So based on what I have read, I have gone into filedir/eb/3d and I see the file 53c3dadf6290b02d8a57ee1e8546bea51d90 in that folder. The file size is 4,294,967,296 bytes. This apparently is the maximum file size that can be read/written by PHP.

My understanding is that the filedir/ folder is used to convert courses to 2.2.2. I know we have courses with more than 4GB of content/submissions associated with it and looks like the upgrade is failing when PHP attempts to increase the temporary conversion file beyond this 4GB limit. Does anyone have a solution? Or am I on the wrong track?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Upgrading from 1.9.9 to 2.2.6
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, hope you were making this transition on a copy of what you have.

filedir is where all converted files end up.  Moodle uses moodledata/temp/ for backups and restores.
Might check your php.ini file for location of temp directory.  Check temp directories for contents ... in the moodledata folder as well as system temp.

Look in each course ID folder of the 1.9 data folder (probably moodledata) for a backupdata folder.  if you find 'backup-blah.zip' files in there those are backups of the 1.9 courses.  In migrating to a 2 they are just taking up space and making the migration more intensive.  They are almost useless in the new file system.  It is safe to move them to an archive folder.  *Best to move not delete.*  As a fall back to course not making the transition is to restore them from a 1.9 backup.

IF you were on Linux still, I'd ask to use:
head -n 1 53c3dadf6290b02d8a57ee1e8546bea51d90 to see what the file type is.  Would show PK on the first and only line displayed indicating it's a PKZIP file.  More than likely, it's a 1.9 backup.

And a comment about hardware … Moodle version 2 is pretty intensive on the DB side.  One might experience better performance if one could run a 64 bit version - of everything.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings:Useful (2)

Hi Ken. I am indeed working on a copy. We're building an entirely new server for this migration. The old server will be pulled offline and used for archival purposes.

I have taken your advice and replaced the 32-bit services with 64-bit versions. The error persisted so I followed your second piece of advice. Sure enough, there was a 9GB backup file in one of the folders. I have removed all the 1.9 backup files and restarted the upgrade. The upgrade is now proceeding nicely.

Thanks for the assist. I will post another note when it finishes (or if it fails).

Darren

The update scripts have now completed successfully. I clicked the continue button at the bottom and got to the screen with the new settings options. Assuming I can spend the time and tweak the settings later, I scroll to the bottom and click the button to accept and continue. When I enter my login credentials, I get

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Now, here's the odd thing. When I am not logged in, I can click on a public forum and see the messages. This is showing me that moodle is connecting to the database and pulling results. So I am suspecting that the config file is not being loaded by the /admin/index.php script. To test this, I added a new mysql user, and granted all permissions to the moodle database and tables. I updated this information in the config.php, closed my browser to clear the session so I can now see the login page again, and verified that the public forum is still accessible. It is. However when I log in, I still see "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" when I should be seeing "Access denied for user 'newuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)".

Any advice?

some additional troubleshooting information. As mentioned above, when not logged in, I can view public forums. If I log in using the link at the top while on the public forum page, I can log in. It drops me into administration mode for the forum. I can also access most other content EXCEPT when I click on the home button or any link with /admin/ in it. For those links, I see Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Further digging in the admin\index.php reveals that the database error occur on the last line

echo $output->admin_notifications_page($maturity, $insecuredataroot, $errorsdisplayed,
        $cronoverdue, $dbproblems, $maintenancemode);

if I display the $CFG->dbuser, I see the proper user in the config file. Now I am stumped.

I have tracked the problem down to a custom block we wrote for the client. It looks like DB connectivity has changed between 1.9 and 2.2.

I have removed the block so I can do some testing but the site now renders normally.

Again thanks for the help.

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Glad to hear it.

Curious ... why the move from Linux to Windows?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Personally, I would have preferred to stick with linux but the client had made the internal decision to set up a Microsoft Virtualization Server. I just go with the flow and make it work smile