Help still needed! ASAP

Help still needed! ASAP

by K G -
Number of replies: 1

Come to find out the original install was a quick install from cpanel ver 1.9.

In fantasico, the version is 2.2.1. The quick install was perfomed again and I had upgraded it to the current server version. Unfortunately, the client was lost on how to do things and the videos did not work. They had started a workaround, by using an external link, but one video is still not working right.

The dilema is this: if I do another quick install and the data in the database and moodledata was also upgraded, it may not work with the previous version.

So I created a new database and was going to import the sql dump, but when I did so, there were several queries that did not import and I do not know if that will have any effect on its integrity.

I'm using phpmyadmin for the import and there are several options I am unsure of.

partial import is checked- should it be unchecked?

I tried unchecking it one time, and got errors.

format: sql

any compatability mode?

do not use AUTO_INCREMENT for zero values if checked- should it be unchecked?

Can anyone offer advice and please go step by step, as I'm still a little green.

Thanks!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K G

Re: Help still needed! ASAP

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This is pretty confusing... Your original install was using cPanel, now  you using fantastico? Not really a good idea anymore, often changes the charset to a swedish latin charset when it needs to be a utf-8. Are you upgrading or creating a vanilla installation?

If upgrading, then do nothing to the database or moodledata folder. Using FTP, delete the Moodle code, but nothing else, everything except the config.php file. Copy an unzipped new code base into the Moodle server folder, and run it via your browser as is. This should open the Moodle and run through the upgrade process with a minimum of fuss.   

phpMyAdmin can be use to manually upgrade a database, but it is not always successful. Can also be used to create a database and manage it, is an excellent tool, but not necessarily for what you might be trying to do.

Where are you installing to? A server? A linux desktop? What is the environment?

If you are installing to a desktop then why are you using all these fancy installation tools? A manual installation is just as valid as any other way. 

If you are using a server, then first, make sure the server environment is stable. Check that the PHP version is the minimum required. Then using FTP upload the Moodle installation files to the root, and open the url, http://[your.ip.address.here]/moodle/install.php. Then you should just be able to standback and let it happen. You may need to use phpMyAdmin to create the database, but you do not need to edit it in anyway. Just make sure that the collation is a utf8_general_ci and the type is an InnoDB.