Upgrade from 2.3.3+ to 2.4 has failed

Upgrade from 2.3.3+ to 2.4 has failed

by Márton Bacsó -
Number of replies: 11

I can't upgrade to 2.4 from 2.3.3+. I have tried twice already (luckily I had made full backups this time, so I could revert back to the previous version in no time).

When I have finished to upload all the new files to the server I get a page, which says that there are more than one moodle versions in the directory and until I delete everything from the previous installation, I can't continue. It also suggests to create a new moodle directory with a fresh install in it and copy everything from the old dir one by one.

I haven't seen anything like this before. I also uploaded the newest 2.3.3+ yesterday and my site detected and installed it without any problems.

Any idea? Thank you in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Márton Bacsó

Re: Upgrade from 2.3.3+ to 2.4 has failed

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Please can you copy and paste the exact error message you are seeing.

It might be worth setting Debugging to DEVELOPER level during the upgrade. That link tells you how to change debugging even if you cannot get to the admin screens.

(Also, making backups should not be a matter of luck wink)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Márton Bacsó -

OKO, I will try. It was in Hungarian, but I will try to change the language. Now I am upgrading all of my plugins (WIRIS, HotPot, SkyDrive), maybe it will solve the problem.

Backups: Yes, I know smile Last time, I didn't have any... smile Everybody learns at the hard way.

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Márton Bacsó -

I attached a PDF file about the screen, what I get. Unfortunately I forgot to turn on DEBUGGING mode, but I will do it next time. Any ideas?

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When you upgraded, did you copy the new 2.4 files over the top of the existing 2.3.3+ files?

If so, don't do that.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Márton Bacsó -

Yes, I did that. This is how I upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3 and 2.3 to 2.3.1 2.3.2 and so on.

So, am I supposed to upload a fresh install into the directory and copy every plugin from the old files, which I used to upgrade my moodle 2.3? I am afraid to forget to move something.

EDIT: OKO, I did the following (without any success) I copied a fresh 2.4 install into my moodle directory AND I also copied everything from my old 2.3.3+ files into the same place, BUT I told the computer to only copy those files, which don't exist already... I have got the same error message.

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Tim Hunt -

Well, it does not work.

Sometimes files are removed between versions. There may be a file that was in Moodle 2.3, which is no longer required in Moodle 2.4, and if it was still present then you would get errors. That is not just hypothetical, there have been plenty of past threads in this forum about problems caused by people doing that.

So, in Moodle 2.4, they added an explicit check, to detect when people do that, and tell them not to. Did you actually read the error message you attached here? It explains the problem, and what you are supposed to do.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Márton Bacsó -

Of course I read it, and I did understand it... But since I am not an IT professional, only a regular teacher, who uses his own resources to improve his teaching, I am not familiar with every ways sites supposed to work. What I know is that to overwrite previous installation files worked nicely for me in the past year and as I wrote I was afraid to forget to copy a file from my old directory to the new one and than my database will go crazy...

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Sam Mudle -

What I know is that to overwrite previous installation files worked nicely for me in the past year and as I wrote I was afraid to forget to copy a file from my old directory to the new one and than my database will go crazy...

It's recommend by the moodle gods to completely backup and delete your moodle installation before you upgrade.   I've never had a problem in the past with simply overwriting php files, but I now destroy the older version files.

In reply to Márton Bacsó

by Bas van Kollenburg -
Upload the 2.4 to de site and ONLY your configuratie file and theme files, he will see the config and start the update
In reply to Bas van Kollenburg

by Márton Bacsó -

Thank you! I will do that the first thing when I get home! smile

In reply to Bas van Kollenburg

by Márton Bacsó -

Thank you, it worked! Although I got an error message in the middle of the process, when Moodle was installing the plugins (mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server), but it worked for the second time without any problems. smile