What should happen when a teacher reviews an in-progress attempt

What should happen when a teacher reviews an in-progress attempt

Tim Hunt -
Erantzun kopurua: 4
Core developers-ren irudia Documentation writers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Peer reviewers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

I am wondering what the right thing to do about MDL-36975 is. The description from the bug:

In Moodle 1.9 a teacher was able to overview open quiz attempts and see the students answers and results as well as the right answer(s) and the feedback. Most of this functionality exists in Moodle 2, but teachers can no longer see right answers in attempts that are in progress. To some teachers this is a handicap, as they wish to be able to tutor learners through quiz attempts.

It is really a choice between

• Teachers should always be able to see everything; and
  • Teachers should be able to see roughtly what students see, but perhaps a bit more.

The first of those is how things worked up to 2.0. The second is how things work now.

You might think (as I did biefly) that the teacher could just preview the quiz to see things, but that overlooks randomisation, which means that different attempts contain different questions.

Anyway, this is a question about what teachers need, not what developers think, which is why I am asking you. Comments please.

Puntuazioen batez bestekoa: -
Tim Hunt(e)ri erantzunda

Re: What should happen when a teacher reviews an in-progress attempt

Peter Kupfer -

I would like to be able to see the answer while reviewing an in progress attempt. I have had a few times when it has been problematic that I can not.

Thanks!

Peter Kupfer(e)ri erantzunda

Tim Hunt -
Core developers-ren irudia Documentation writers-ren irudia Particularly helpful Moodlers-ren irudia Peer reviewers-ren irudia Plugin developers-ren irudia

I had an idea which is, we could have a display of the right answer for teachers that appears in a different place / style to the right answer that is shown to sutudents depending on the review options. I am not sure if that is a good or bad idea.

Tim Hunt(e)ri erantzunda

Joshua Bragg -

It is definitely a need to be able to see the answers for an in progress attempt.  

I had to deal with just a little bit ago.  It is an fairly regular need for me.

I think it makes more sense to put it in the normal place.  I don't think any teacher is going to assume that because they can see the correct answer that a student could also.

Tim Hunt(e)ri erantzunda

Tim Hunt -

I consulted my colleagues at the OU, and they are not keen.

When we were still using Moodle 1.9, the way the correct answer was displayed to teachers caused confusion for some people about how much students could see during the attempt.

However, even if we displayed it differently to teachers, there are still some situations where we would not want the right answer visible to tutors during the attempt, so if this did get implemented, it would have to be optional, and do we really want even more options for the quiz?

I'm not saying that this should not happen, just because the OU does not like it. I am saying that if it is done, it needs to be thought through properly.