General help

Picture of David Annable
MP3 Player in 2.3

Hi,

We have just set up our Moodle installation (Moodle 2.3, Windows, SQL Server, IIS) and are having a play around before we start to set it up in anger.

We have embedded an MP3 file in a course topic and the media player bar appears. But when we press play it only plays the first three seconds of the file.

I've had a search and can't find anyone else mentioning the problem. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Lynn Scarlet Clark
Re: MP3 Player in 2.3

Hiya David,

I'd suggest the problem is most likely not with the media player in Moodle but with your source file. Go back to your MP3 files and ensure it plays in various standalone media players from your desktop, check there are no breaks,, no stop commands etc and that the file uploaded to Moodle correctly (easy check is it exactly the same file size in Moodle as in it's original saved place?)

If you're sure it's all OK, come back here - maybe there's some interference or other command/script on the page, but you should check your file in the first instance.

Picture of David Annable

It works fine as a standalone file. Even though I do have a local copy I right clicked on it and downloaded it to my local drive and it played fine from there. And it's not just one file that exhibits this behaviour, I've uploaded two and both are the same - three seconds then nothing! 

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

What OS and browser are you trying to play the MP3 file on?

Does it play back on a different browser or from a different machine?

It could also be just taking a long time to buffer. If the connection is very slow or the file very big this can happen.

Picture of Lynn Scarlet Clark

Let us know what browser's you've tried this on and what size the files are - perhaps post one of the files here.

Another possibility is that the version of php that is being run sometimes affects files like media files... have you got the most up-to-date version installed on your server?

Picture of David Annable

My pc is Windows 7 using IE8. Tried it in Chrome, no difference. Not tried Firefox yet but IE is the college default browser. Tried it on another pc with the same result.

PHP Version is 5.3.19 and the MP3 file is 1.36Mb / 3m 58s - we have larger!