Upgrade Script Says No Upgrade Needed

Upgrade Script Says No Upgrade Needed

by Mike Sangray -
Number of replies: 9

I am trying to upgrade my moodle site from 2.3.1+ to the latest stable version. I have installed git and gone through the upgrade steps, but I when run the upgrade script I get a message that says "No upgrade needed for the installed version 2.3.1+ (Build: 2012726). Thanks for coming anyway!"

This is my first attempt at upgrading Moodle. My initial install over the summer was a fresh install.

Also, this is on a Linux CentOS 6 box.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Sangray

Re: Upgrade Script Says No Upgrade Needed

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

By 'upgrade script', do you mean the script in /moodle/admin/cli/?

Try this as root user and assuming 'typical' CentOS 6 apache install):

cd /var/www/html/moodle/

fgrep '$release' version.php

will show your current version and build date.

git pull [ENTER]

If you see it 'pull down' new files it's getting updated.  Might want to check permissions on files as you've executed as root user.

Then hit the site via Web browser and login as an admin level user to complete the update.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Sangray -

Okay, I've made some progress and now I'm getting a plugins check error. The plugins check is failing and listing 3 plugins that need to be updated, but when I go to download the updated plugins I can't find them.

Database auto-linking  /filter/data  
Glossary auto-linking  /filter/glossary
Assignment upgrade helper  /admin/tool/assignmentupgrade  

I'm not sure where to download these from if I can't find them searching Moodle plugins

Attachment moodle plugins check.png
In reply to Mike Sangray

by Ken Task -

Those are part of Moodle core ... don't think they are available via download sepearately.

Check your Moodle code folder (moodle) /filter for a folder called data and a folder called glossary as well as moodle/admin/tool/assignmentupgrade

Hard to see the 'red' in your screen cap but looks like mod_glossary and mod_data and mod_asign 'collapsed'.  Are those special mod's?

If those were among the items pulled when issuing git pull, then they might be tagged as belonging to 'root' user. 

Fix while in the moodle directory: chown apache:apache * -R

That means all files and -R is recursion ... all files/folders contained there in.  No need to restart apache, just reload the page.

If they are missing, then one could git clone moodle again to another directory (could be anywhere ... doesn't have to be in web document root):

cd /var/www/

git clone git://git.moodle.org/moodle.git moodlegit

cd moodlegit

git branch --track MOODLE_23_STABLE origin/MOODLE_23_STABLE

git checkout MOODLE_23_STABLE

chown apache:apache ../moodlegit -R

Then cp the *missing folders* to appropriate locations in the production server.  cp -rp [folder] [to_production_moodle_folder]

cp -rp /var/www/moodlegit/filter/data /var/www/html/moodle/filter/

and so for the others as well.  cp copy -r recurse the 'p' means preserve permissions/ownerships first path location of folder to copy last path location to copy to.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Sangray -

It's strange that parts of moodle core would be having an issue like this during an upgrade. The directories are present, so they're not missing. I was able to successfully upgrade from 2.3.1 to 2.3.3 and that's where I'll stop for now.

Maybe this is a problem with upgrading to 2.4?

Mike

In reply to Mike Sangray

by Ken Task -

In a fresh install of 2.4, /filter there is an upgrade.txt file
which says:

This file describes API changes in core filter API and plugins,
information provided here is intended especially for developers.

=== 2.3 ===

* new setup() method added to moodle_text_filter, invoked before
  filtering happens, used to add all the requirements to the page
  (js, css...) and/or other init tasks. See filter/glossary for
  an example using the API (and MDL-32279 for its justification).

=== 2.2 ===

* legacy filters and legacy locations have been deprecated, so any
  old filter should be updated to use the new moodle_text_filter,
  and any filter bundled under mod/xxxx directories be moved to
  /filter/xxxx (MDL-29995). They will stop working completely in
  Moodle 2.3 (MDL-29996). See the glossary or data filters for
  examples of legacy module filters and locations already updated.

In your screen shot, it does show mod_data and mod_glossary.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29996

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29995

Appears to be related.  Don't really know what to do about it, to be honest, just 'sluething'.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Sangray -

It looks like someone else is having a similar issue: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=217419

At this point I'm going to call it a problem with 2.4 or a problem with the upgrade process. Regardless, it doesn't look like upgrading to 2.4 is a viable option at this point.

Mike

In reply to Mike Sangray

by Ken Task -

Yes, it might be a 'bug' ... in your case and in the other user reporting.  I just took a 2.3.*highest* to 2.4 and didn't see the same issues.  Note: had other issues but those related to 3rd party add-ons (to be expected sometimes).

Did you 'git pull' your 2.3 to bring it up to highest first?  The 'bug' might have been cleaned up by doing that.  The 'bug' or 'fix' appears to have been lying in wait and not triggered before now.

Doesn't hurt to wait though ... sometimes better safe than sorry! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mike Sangray -

These are steps I'm using. I have done this each time I've tried it (on my test system) so it should be grabbing the latest code/files each time...right?

#git clone git://git.moodle.org/moodle.git
#cd moodle
#git branch -a
#git branch --track MOODLE_24_STABLE origin/MOODLE_24_STABLE
#git checkout MOODLE_24_STABLE

Mike

In reply to Mike Sangray

by Ken Task -

Yes, that does (or should).  The trouble is not necessarily in the code, but in the DB.  The plugins check page is contructed via a combination of reading directories and the DB.  My test of upgrading a 2.3.3 to 2.4 hit a 'presenters' mod that I hadn't copied into the M2.4 code directory.  Thus the plugins check page had 'missing from disk' - but it had all the other parameters (version, etc.).  Had to get that from the database.

Doing a git pull in the 2.3 to get it to the highest would not only get files, but very well could move folders AND update the DB.

If you've had 2.2 and git updated to 2.3 that's where the change was supposedly made - or from what I gather reading that readme.txt file.

At any rate, mod_filter and mod_glossary don't seem to exist in any files I can see.  Has to be in DB ... somewhere ... just wish I knew so we could get you past this point.   Reason I say that ... 2.4 *IS* an improvement over 2.3 speed issues and think you and your students experience would be much better.

Maybe a *true* Moodle Guru would take pity and jump in here! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken