Re: [Release] Zebra 2.4

by Danny Wahl -

v2.4.1 uploaded to Plugins directory

• fixes some course layout problems
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Jim Jam -

Hello There
Great theme - I'm trying it out for Moodle 2.4 in Firefox and IE10 but have comes across a minor error when grading assignments.. IN the edit grade column when you roll over the icon the submenu showing the GRADE / PREVENT submission choice doesnt show unless you move the mouse to the right... Is this a CSS issue??
CHeers
Jim

In reply to Jim Jam

by Danny Wahl -

Would you be able to show me a screen shot of what it looks like in IE/FF on Zebra and then on another theme with the expected result?
 thanks for the report.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Jim Jam -

Hi Danny

Picture below shows the gradebook with the edit grade button

Picture below shows what happens when you roll the mouse over to edit the grade / remark

Changed the theme to Standard and the choices box to update the grade appears..

The above was done in Firefox but the same thing happens in IE10 as well. Many thanks for your help 

Jim

In reply to Jim Jam

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

@Danny,

This is caused by the way the custommenu is styled.

I had this problem happen recently in Serenity theme and cured it by adding #custommenu at the start of the menu CSS inplace of .yui3-skin-sam. The problem is that when the Edit button is enabled, it allows a pop-out menu to appear in the gradebook when hovering, and so it uses the same YUI CSS for ul li like the menu, but in this case does not suit the color scheme of the theme, so you need to isolate the custommenu and allow the Edit/hover menu to work independently.

Checkout MDL-35231 commit: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/06bbc5f3db7d6169f789270ada945644e34c8ab7 to see what those changes where. (You will find the #custommenu CSS at the bottom of that page.)

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Jim Jam

by Danny Wahl -

ok, i've pushed the changes to github, if you're getting it from there please pull it again and let me know if it fixes it.  If it does - I'll have an updated version in teh plugins repo. soon, with some other fixes.  Here's what it looks like now:

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Jim Jam -

Danny

Bad manners of me not thanking you for sorting this out... Now works fine and a great theme... Many thanks

Jim

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Debbie Mason -

I use a shared server on GoDaddy and it doesn't have the right SQL to use the most current Moodle.

I have installed the following: Moodle 2.2.6+ (Build: 20121130)
Zebra Version: 2.4.2 (Build: 2012121100)

I previously used the following CSS to change the font size in the page header and to eliminate my logo and background image from the window that displays my SCORM course packages.

h1.headermain {font-size:140%!important;margin-left:160px;}
.path-mod-scorm {background-image: none!important;}
.path-mod-scorm #page-header {background-image:none;}

With the new installation, the only one that seems to work is hiding the background image in the SCORM window.

Can you suggest custom CSS to change font size for the Title and eliminate my logo and the logout link in the SCORM popup window?

Thanks so much.

In reply to Debbie Mason

by Danny Wahl -

.path-mod-scorm {background-image:none;}

.path-mod-scorm .logo {display:none;}

.path-mod-scorm .header {font-size:140%;}

.path-mod-scorm .logininfo {display:none;}

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Debbie Mason -

Thanks for the help. I now have the following custom settings:

.path-mod-scorm {background-image: none!important;}
.path-mod-scorm .logo {display:none;}
.headermain {font-size:120%;margin-bottom:10px;}
.path-mod-scorm .logininfo {display:none;}
.logo {margin-right:30px;}

These have helped me display a SCORM course packge in a popup window without the header, logo, and login showing in the window. i also changed the font size and positioned the logo on the main pages.

I have trouble getting the course content to display properly. I finally figured out that the course tests within the course use blocks, so to get them to display properly, I changed the config.php to display blocks:

'popup' => array(

'file' => 'general.php',

'regions' => array(),

'options' => array('nofooter'=>true, 'noblocks'=>false, 'nonavbar'=>true, 'nocustommenu'=>true, 'nologininfo'=>true, 'nocourseheaderfooter'=>true)

I now have two problems:

1. That code makes the tests display properly in Firefox and with Google Chrome, but i need to be able to get the pre- and post-regions to not display so that only the course appears in the popup window. How do i use blocks in the course itself but not display the sidebars?

2. The above worked at first in Internet Explorer, but now it doesn't work with Windows 7 and internet explorer  9 or with windows 8 and internet explorer 10. The course pages and the tests don't display properly (image attached). Can someone tell me what to change?

Or, would someone fix these problems for me?

Thanks.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Matt Vernon -

I really like this theme Danny and would like to use. On our test server Moodle 2.4.3. In the gradebook the text for page 2 overlaps the tabs (see pic). using firefox 10 on mac. If there is anything i can do to fix this I would like to use this theme for production. Any help appreciated.

Thanks-matt

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mark Little -

Really like this theme...

I'm trying to add a Font slider to it using the coding from the Theme called Simple but not really have much success...

Any plans to add one?

Thanks

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

v2.4.2 released in the plugins repository!

• enhanced: completely rewritten course layout
  • fixed: gradebook edit menu display
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Sami Hwang -

Hello Danny,

Thank you so much for the constant update. I really like this theme.

I wish I could create this kind of theme some day. ^^

Sami

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Andrew Steinman -

Is it just me or is there an issue with the Zebra theme and IE on Windows XP? I was in a school district today that was using IE on Windows XP and noticed that the blocks did not display correctly. Instead of being on the sides, the blocks were pushed to the bottom, sort of like it would look like on a mobile device. Any thoughts on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

In reply to Andrew Steinman

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What version of IE were they using?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Andrew Steinman -

I'm in the process of looking into which version that school had, but I just tested it on one of our old machines, which has version IE v6 and am experiencing the same issue. I will update once I hear back.

*Update*

They are using IE v8.

by Richard Oelmann -

Well, Moodle itself doesn't (and in fact MS themselves don't) support IE6 anyway, so I'm not surprised that didn't work - even on XP you can upgrade as far as IE8, and should!

As for the schools who are running XP with IE8, Zebra has a number of settings to enable and disable a variety of features which help support the responsive elements of the theme on older browsers. You should check that these settings are in fact turned on and have suitable settings for IE8 - I haven't got IE8 on a machine to test at the moment for you. But the settings (apologies if this needs correcting by Danny or someone, I'm relaying this from memory, I don't have access to my moodle set up at the minute, but I will check tomorrow and repost if needed) are for whether the responsive.js is enabled, and for prompting to install the chrome framework into IE. Take a look at Settings> Site Administration> Appearance> Themes> Zebra and what is set there.

The other thing you may need to check is that IE is not forcing the site into compatability mode as many intranet sites are set to do by default on some systems.

Hope that helps

Richard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Without seeing the site inquestion first hand it's hard to say. However, something similar to this happend recently in a site I was asked to look at. It turned out to be a news item which had been added to the Site News was causing the distorted view of the page. It was a simple copy/paste from Microsoft Outlook email that had formatting within the copied text. The MS formatting was being read by IE and totally screwed up the page layout.

I'm not saying this is what is casuing your problem, but it could be related. Any copied text from a Word document OR Outlook emails can trigger strange behaviour in Moodle if the text is not stripped of the formatting. There is a option in the HTML editor to do this.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Steinman -

Thank you for the reply, but this is definitely not the issue we are experiencing. It definitely seems to be related to the older versions of Internet Explorer.

I included a screenshot below. The blocks at the bottom should be on the left and right hand sides.

by Mary Evans -

I have been testing this and found a problem with the CSS  stylesheet for IE. The file is named as zebra/style/IE.css but is in zebra/config.php is refered to as 'ie' (ie.css) in $THEME->styles

File naming policy in Moodle dictates that all directories, sub-directories and files must be in lowercase. So in this case there are two errors. 1) the fact the filename is in capital letters, and 2) the fact that although the filename is written correctly in zebra/config.php for all intents and purposes, but Moodle cannot find that css file because of (case: 1) capital letters in the filename.

IE8 in XP seems to be missing off the CSS.

However, I am getting a problem in Firefox when logged in I get a blank page. So I'm not sure what's happening.

I'll see if I can find out what is happening.

Cheers

Mary

by Danny Wahl -

that issue is this: IE8 doesnt support @media queries, but Zebra uses them for the layout.  So you need to enable "userespond" in the Zebra theme settings. it's a small js file that lets IE6-8 use @media queries.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Bernhard Gantner -

Again the thre column issue: since xmas we had Zebra 2.4 up and running on our moodle 2.3 side: http://moodle2.mdrs.hd.schule-bw.de/moodle/ A very flexible and powerful theme, we were happy to find after a long time of searching when we moved from moodle 1.9 to 2.x
We had solved the issue of one column in older IE-versions and our students like the theme very much.
However, since the update to moodle 2.4.1 yesterday the three columns are gone - in all browsers! Re-installation of zebra 2.4 did not help.
Any clue? Nobody else seems to have reported this particular problem?
It would be a pity if we had to switch to another theme, now that we all love zebra!

In reply to Bernhard Gantner

by Mary Evans -

I'm just about to test this in the latest version of Moodle.

Please bear with me, and I will report back soon with my results.

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -

I can confirm that there is a problem in IE8 using Windows XP.

I'm not sure what the problem is yet but will continue to test.

It seems to be working OK in FireFox which is the prefered browser for Moodle.

Mary

by Danny Wahl -

do you have "userespond" enabled in the theme settings?

have you upgraded to the latest version of the theme?

do your machines have internet access? (the theme uses a cdn hosted version of respond.js)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Bernhard Gantner -

Thank you for responding, Danny!
I can say yes to all three questions!

We have changed the theme to Krystle meanwhile; there the columns behave as expected!

by Richard Oelmann -

hmm, that is strange, because the layout in krystle - including the respond.js stuff - is all adapted directly from Danny's Zebra theme, so I'm not sure why Zebra doesn't work, but Krystle does! I may have tinkered with the defaults in the settings file, but if you have set these on the settings page anyway, that shouldn't make any difference.

Other than that the changes between Zebra and Krystle - although quite major in some ways, shouldn't have any impact on the responsiveness and the columns layout, revolving mainly around things like the integration of awesomebar and other features, rather than Danny's excellent work on the rebase responsive layout. (Update: what started as Danny's Rebase work, he has now released as a standalone web layout called Antioch - even more kudos Danny!!!)

For information - Krystle was built using Zebra 2.4.2 (Build: 2012121100) as part of the upstream code for layouts and respond.js etc. I believe this is still the latest version in the plugins database.

HTH

Richard

by Danny Wahl -

interesting.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to an XP machine (or IE8) currently.  Can you do me a favor - load the theme with the offending browser and paste the served source for me (like pastebin, etc...) I want to make sure that the JS is getting included properly.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by José Fonseca -

Hello,

Is only possible change the settings for the header region with de URL of the image´s logo.

It´s possible that you put a HTML window to past a code of an animated banner made in BannersABC?

Thanks

In reply to José Fonseca

by Danny Wahl -

that's not really something that could be easily done.  I recommend you try manually adjusting the HTML itself.

I also think that flash content is blocked by default in Moodle?