Teacher's cannot edit questions in system level catagory

Teacher's cannot edit questions in system level catagory

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all

We are using 1.9.5

We created a bank of questions and added them to the system level. Now teachers cannot edit these questions, though they can edit other questions that are within the course level catagory.

I checked the site level permissions and the following are all set to ALLOW:

moodle/question:add

moodle/question:editall

moodle/question:editmine

moodle/question:managecategory

moodle/question:moveall

moodle/question:movemine

moodle/question:useall

moodle/question:usemine

moodle/question:viewall

moodle/question:viewmine

Is there another setting or permission that I am missing to make this work? Or another way to accomplish the same goal?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Teacher's cannot edit questions in system level catagory

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The role that has these permissions needs to be set at the system level.  What we normally do is create a system level role called Question Editor and then apply the viewall and editall permissions.  Then,again at the system level, assign those teachers to the role.  That should fix it for you.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tiffany Morgan -

Thanks for the quick reply. Now that I look at it I do see that those permissions I set to allow are within the system role, but where in the subcategory of "course", rather than for the "system" subcategory, so creating a role with these permissions and then assigning users a sitewide role makes more sense now.

I will test this on my own as well, but it sounds like you already have experience with this, so I'll ask you too. It seems that by doing this the user would be able to edit questions for any course for the entire site. Is there a way to achive this same result but only have users able to modify questions for a select category of courses?

Also, if you have a user who is also a teacher for your institution in addition to having this question editor role, do you just continue to assign them as teacher within the course context for the course they teach? So then they have the sitewide question editor permissions, as well as all the permissions a teacher has?

Thanks again for your help--much appreciated!

In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think you should be able to assign the role at the category level to achieve your goal.  Just make sure when you create the role, you make is assignable at the category level.

And yes, you still need to assign them as a teacher to the course.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tiffany Morgan -

Thanks Tim. I had reviewed that but hadn't yet made the connection that the user had to be assigned at the system level rather than the course level (despite it being clearly described as such smile ). Once I understood that and added that user to the system level and assigned them as the teacher the course level, it's working perfectly.

Thanks for the help everyone!