Semantic web

Semantic web

by Lukas Ferko -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I am interesting in how apply semantic web technologies  moodle. If its possible to create module or somethig, what should provide this functions.

I'd like to create ontologies for courses, resources etc.

Any one knows if exists any development in the field of integrating ontologies to moodle?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lukas Ferko

Re: Semantic web

by Richard Price -

Hi Lukas,

In what way do you want Moodle to be semantic or more semantic-web ish?
Much of the data within moodle, has activities related to people as well as documents or media etc. In that Moodle works largely from a database there is already an ontology (naming and categorisation) applied to the data & users contained within. Further, The more recent Repositories allows items or objects "to be" and referenced to by moodle where ever they reside on the Web. Flickr , Youtube & Mediawiki are obvious examples.

Some objects within Moodle exist within a namespace a course and category already and as such have "ontologies" associated with them, and the oft seen breadcrumb trail and navigation blocks provide a contextual ontology though not as such coded within the page, but displaying the categorisation in the main screen.

Further work is I gather being done to enable Moodle as an LTI provider and client which in some way provides Moodle courses and activities as a semantic object addressable and usable by another system to transfer information and actions across the web. The most likely path to contribute to Moodle in a semantic-web way would surely be to enhance its connected-ness to the rest of the world: repositories, Links, sharing, hubs.

Given that Moodle is most often used with a logon to access, I would doubt the value of developing a module on its inside. Maybe focus on the linking abilities to and from the rest-of-world.

In reply to Richard Price

by Lukas Ferko -

I need it for one project at school. So, it is not possible to "connect" courses a their resources with owl/rdf ? It is new for me and on the internet is so little information.

In reply to Lukas Ferko

by Rogers Bhalalusesa -

I am also interested in connecting Moodle to my own repository using Semantic Web.  Which Semantic Model is currently being used by Moodle? I need to develop a semantic web model to show how this is done.

In reply to Lukas Ferko

by George Abraham -

@Lukas Ferko and @Rogers Bhalalusesa:

What is the application that you are trying to build? Why do you want to connect Moodle to your Semantic Web application?

As mentioned above, Moodle has a abstract structure. What you can do is create customizations in Moodle and then use data extracted from Moodle into your own RDF to again provide customizations, for e.g. say adaptivity in a course based on some data fetched from Moodle.

In reply to Lukas Ferko

إعادة: Semantic web

by Anas Balla -

I am studying now this subject in his PhD thesis, it is possible to share ideas with each other

In reply to Anas Balla

by tamer yousry -

i am also studying this subject in my master , i will be happy if we can share ideas.

In reply to tamer yousry

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You're dredging up an old post here wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

+1 Howard.

And I would add that writing a PhD thesis or a master's degree is about doing your own research first of all, not about "sharing ideas".

As regards the topic of this discussion (the Semantic Web), Tim Berners-Lee originally expressed the vision of the Semantic Web as follows:
I have a dream for the Web [in which computers] become capable of analyzing all the data on the Web – the content, links, and transactions between people and computers. A "Semantic Web", which makes this possible, has yet to emerge, but when it does, the day-to-day mechanisms of trade, bureaucracy and our daily lives will be handled by machines talking to machines. The "intelligent agents" people have touted for ages will finally materialize. (from Wikipedia article)

Hm, "a dream" or a nightmare? "The "intelligent agents" people have touted for ages will finally materialize." I hope that will never happen (hopefully I'll be dead before it happens anyway).clown

Joseph