Display Problem with Guest sign up attempt

Display Problem with Guest sign up attempt

by Liz Katz -
Number of replies: 9

When a guest attempst to log in they get the general string from the lanaguage pack, but underneath is the following:

\n\n

liketologin

This is not a good user experience. Please help!

Thanks!

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 11.22.51 AM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Liz Katz

Re: Display Problem with Guest sign up attempt

by Jenna Pitcher -

Liz,

Are you saying that you want a guest to register for a Face to Face session without having logged into your moodle site first?

Jenna

In reply to Jenna Pitcher

by Liz Katz -

No.

I think a lot of my users may make this mistake and I don't want them to get a broken error message.

Now there is 'code' after my error string that will make it look like the page is broken. 

"\n\n" etc.

In reply to Liz Katz

by Jenna Pitcher -

The simple solution to your problem is to get rid of guest access to your course.  .... NO?

by Liz Katz -

I like students to be able to browse the resources without logging in. It shouldn't be a big deal if they forget to log it before they register for a face to face. I launched it today and I'm already getting people confused by the gibberish. 

In reply to Liz Katz

by Jenna Pitcher -

I appreciate that objective Liz.  If I try that on our staging server which is running 2.1.7, it returns the following ... 

GuestNotAllowed

I'm guessing it's supposed to say "Click continue to log in" or something similar.  

Frankly I wasn't even aware that this option was available.  So thanks for that!  smile

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Everyone,

I have tracked down this bug and fixed it. If you download the latest code from github this issue will be resolved. For anyone who doesn't want to upgrade and wants to fix it in their version.

The issue is located around line #50 near the end of mod/facetoface/signup.php

The line starting $out = html_writer(... needs to be replaced with:

$out = html_writer::tag('p', get_string('guestsno', 'facetoface')) .
        html_writer::empty_tag('br') .
        html_writer::tag('p', get_string('continuetologin', 'facetoface'));

and we also need to add:

$string['continuetologin'] = 'Click continue to login';

to mod/facetoface/lang/en/facetoface.php

Cheers,
Alastair

In reply to Liz Katz

by Jenna Pitcher -

Hi Liz,

I'm picking up this discussion after having upgraded our staging server to Moodle 2.2.6 and installing the new F2F code with Alastair's fix.

I should have realized this earlier, but once a guest clicks "Sign-up" and is then presented with the option to login ("Continue" or "Cancel"), if the user was not previously enroled in the course, once they log-in they are presented with  .....

Sign-up for Test Face To Face Activity

location Test
room  
venue  
Session date/time 11 February 2013, 08:00 AM – 11 February 2013, 05:00 PM
Seats available 10
  This session requires manager approval to book.
Duration 8 hours
Normal cost $1

You don't have permission to signup to this facetoface session.

Since Face to Face doesn't enrol the student, the only way to make guest access work with F2F would be to manually enrol them first.  As all of our users are self enrolled, no one would ever be able to sign-up for a session if we allowed guest access.

Are you manually enrolling your students or is there another way around this?

Jenna

by Liz Katz -

The current is currently making me very unhappy.

I tried auto-enroll and discovered a few days ago that the result is even worse. Users who can't get into a session are still seeing it under My Courses and think they that made it. I can't unenrol students who have been enrolled via the unenroll plugin. (I should have seen that in the description.)

With guest access, they can sign up for a F2F session, but they aren't ever told they need to enroll in the course. So the Course doesn't appear under My Courses and they think that they failed to enroll in the session.  (This is made worse since this is one of the first courses I've offered through Moodle and no one has any experience to draw upon.)

The only way around both it is to manually enroll them. 

Sigh.

In reply to Liz Katz

by Jenna Pitcher -

Liz,

How does a guest on a course with guest access sign up for a face to face session if they can't enroll in the course?  

Jenna