Comments field for quiz questions

Comments field for quiz questions

by Margaret Fleck -
Number of replies: 2

It would be nice if there was a place to write instructor-side comments when creating quiz questions.    When teaching a course over several terms with varying instructors, it would be helpful to leave information for future folks about how difficult the question is, what hints students might need to be given in person, what it is supposed to be testing, whether the question has issues that should be fixed when it's used next, etc.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Fleck

Re: Comments field for quiz questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Where do you think that sort of information should appear? When you preview the question, when you are editing the question, both? Moodle has a fairly general commenting system, so it might be quite easy to add this.

... as long as you don't expet the comments to be kept when you import or export the questions, or backup and restore the course.

Oh, and when the question is moved, or deleted, we would need to delete or move the comments.

Also, would these comments just be a lot of clutter in the UI for some people? In other words, should this be a feature that admins can turn on or off? I suppose a simpler solution to that aspect is to allow each user to show or hide the comments area, with a user preference to remember that settings.

So, on reflection, it would be a moderate amount of work to implement this, but if anyone wants to give it a try, see http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Comment_API.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Comments field for quiz questions

by Margaret Fleck -

To be much use, comments would need to stick with the question when it's moved/imported/exported/etc.     Otherwise they'll disappear when we move data to the offering for a new term.    

I would think that tags, to the extent that they are implemented, would need to have much the same properties.     The difference would be that multi-word comments could be more expressive, but you'd have less control over what came back if you did a keyword search on comments rather than tags.   But I couldn't tell from the documentation what state tag development was in.

???