Number of replies: 10

Helllppp i need to download a moodle server 
helppppp

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mamik Menghrajani

Re: How do i make my own moodle server

by John Layamon -

Hi

I'm not sure exactly what you are hoping to do but these may be of help.

http://ubuntuserverguide.com/2012/11/how-to-install-moodle-on-ubuntu-server-12-04.html

If you just want to set up a version of Moodle to play with on your own Windows computer, you could do worse than downloading the free Webmatrix package from Microsoft. This will allow you to set up a Moodle site (not only Moodle but Joomla, Drupal etc. too) on your computer

http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Layamon

by ben reynolds -

If you just want a test server on a Windows machine, you can get the whole setup off moodle.org here http://download.moodle.org/windows/

In reply to ben reynolds

by William Hamilton -

I've been thru this process and finally ended up with a hosted site (Web Hosted site to be specific). Long-short story... to answer your question specifically, there's tonnes of info out there and on Moodle about this subject, however, I recommend the following:

• TAKE THE TIME TO SIT DOWN AND THINK THROUGH WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THAT SITE FIRST!
  • The above will detrmine numerous outcomes, e.g.,
    • manhours spent on managing the site
    • costs of all sorts
    • quality of service and material
    • peace of mind!
    • Moodle version used! (hosted sites have issues)
  • Utilize WAMP vice WIMP, actually I prefer XAMP. If you don't know these terms, this is what I mean sitting down and thinking the whole thing through.
  • Host a site yourself on your computer or have it hosted?
    • Issues for a home server are many:
      • Is your computer on all the time?
      • does your ISP support your plans (dynamic/static IP address, may call for a DYNDns account? free?)
      • will your email server for your site work if your ISP is blocking SMTP port 25 (no), there're work arounds.
      • can your home network handle the traffic (no)
    • Hosted sites also have their issues, but...
      • a shared hosted is a no,no... can't do much!
      • some kind of Web Hosting plan/account (deluxe/premium) account ensures "maximum" flexibility with what you can do on your site e.g., installed/ needed programs/third party vendor software or not and email (your own), just to name a few.
      • maybe Dedicated Server Hosting and VPS are not for you...
    • Linux/Ubuntu 12+, 10+ for BigBlueButton virtual classroom is the way to go:
      • security
      • applications
      • hosted plans

So, probably too much already but have a look at what I've done over here and let's talk http://www.imanfiqrie.com I took the time to give some info because like I said, there's too much info out there and we sometimes need people to give us a view and point the way-- hope this helps?

...the power of information!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Hamilton

by Kris Garceau -

Ok, so I know I don't want to deal with hosting, how can I get a moodle site of my own to create an online class?

In reply to Kris Garceau

by Chris Glass -

It really comes down on how much access you have. 

You can set up your own Linux server and have Moodle installed on it. You can have a windows machine and use IIS to also complete the job. Are there other requirements? Active Directory sync? Email connection? 

In reply to Chris Glass

by Elliott Sinclair -

Hi I am just starting off using moodle for a company I have just joined, they had it before I came but my boss doesn't know if he has a folder on his computer where the moodle files are stored, how can I find that file so I can add plugins and a new theme to the website? If the moodle is web hosted online will I still be able to access the moodle files?

Many thanks

Elliott

In reply to Elliott Sinclair

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Elliott, resurrecting an old thread, specially if it was initialized few years back is never a good idea, as it's usually overlooked by community members, best would be in case of initial posts are old, better start a new thread.

Regarding your query, chances are moodle would be in a sub folder, you have to open your site and see if domain is with sub-folder, as though by default moodle extracts into "moodle" directory, but there are developers who tend to rename it to some other thing like LMS, VLE, etc