Html 5 for playing audio in HotPot/QuizPort/TaskChain

Re: Html 5 for playing audio in HotPot/QuizPort/TaskChain

by John C. Herbert -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Stan, and All,

I am flattered that you would even ask about my "mobile content." To be clear, I do not have any content that automatically opens up in a made-for-mobiles format when accessed (so I hope that is not what you were thinking). But, as you saw at my presentation in Paris last year, I do have a handful of tips to share with novice HotPot, QuizPort, and TaskChain users. (Experts might look at these ideas and chuckle though.) The tips I shared were also presented at EuroCALL 2011, the week after our mini-moot. The brief report I wrote for the EuroCALL 2011 conference proceedings can be found here, http://www.eurocall-languages.org/review/20/papers_20/17_herbert.pdf, although it might already be somewhat outdated. 

Basically, when I say to people that they can use HotPot, QuizPort, and TaskChain for activities intended for mobile access, I explain that some output formats are more mobile-friendly than others. A few key issues to consider are:

1. What to do with audio. Apple does not work well with Flash. HTML5 does not work well with Android. (Thanks for the latter tip, Stan.)

2. Drag-n-drop and key press do not work in some browsers on mobile devices, so stick with dropdown menus or touch friendly activities like the example below. (You will need the username: yruhereXX and password: yruhereXX where XX = 01 to 07 to access this example. This is open to anyone from this forum who would like to check it out.)

JMix (v6) for Scrambled Letters on Touch Screen/Mobile Devices

3. Take advantage of the JQuiz, JCloze, and ANCT-Scan Auto-Advance output formats. The keyword here being "auto-advance" (AA). With JQuiz(AA), as long as you have the same question length and number of answer choices for each question, then each consecutive question will fit into the same frame. And, with JCloze(AA) and ANCT-Scan(AA), you can use your own HTML tables to set up the display size of each question such that each question fits equally on every consecutive page, as seen in the following example.  (You will need the username: yruhereXX and password: yruhereXX where XX = 01 to 07 to access this example. This is open to anyone from this forum who would like to check it out.) All that the mobile user has to do is frame the first question to fit the mobile screen (by simply zooming in on the question), and all subsequent questions will automatically fit into the same frame one page at a time without requiring any scrolling or resizing.

ANCT-Scan (Auto-Advance) for Mobile-friendly Photo Questions

If you happen to be interested in more examples of activities I use to introduce people to QuizPort, please have a look at the course page where I have posted the two aforementioned activities at http://herbert.quizport.com/course/view.php?id=21. (Using the same username and password as above.)

Other than that, I am sorry to say that the only things I have online right now are personal, student generated files; and, as such, access is restricted for now.

I hope you found what I did provide to be helpful in someway. Please feel free to replicate anything I have shown you (for all of you to whom it may concern) on your own tutorial site if it looks remotely worthy.

Thanks,

John

Average of ratings: Useful (1)