blank administation page after copying to block folder

blank administation page after copying to block folder

by Greg Szczotka -
Number of replies: 7
After copying any block (wikipedia, bookmarks, fancy clock wink) to blocks folder I cannot access the administration page. It's just blank (white)
What's wrong?

All the best
Greg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Szczotka

Re: blank administation page after copying to block folder

by Jan Dierckx -
Greg, the link (http://www.e-nauka.kursy/) you sent me doesn't work, so I have not yet taken a look at your site.
About the blocks:
You have installed the correct version? Blocks for version 1.5 of
Moodle are not compatible with Moode version 1.4.x and vice versa.
You copied the directory that's inside the zip to your /moodle/blocks directory? They all have to go just one level beneath the blocks directory. You should have /moodle/blocks/wikipedia/ and /moodle/blocks/fancy_clock and so on ... with no extra directories inside them.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Odp: Re: blank administation page after copying to block folder

by Greg Szczotka -
sorry for the misspelling. it's http://www.e-nauka.org/kursy/
Regarding the second question I'm not sure.
The last question - I'm pretty sure I didn't make any mistake here.
Regards
Greg

In reply to Greg Szczotka

by John Papaioannou -
The site is 1.5, but I 'm not sure if these blocks have been updated for 1.5.

Can you try adding one block at a time to see if a) one particular block causes the problem (if so, which?) or b) any of the 3 will cause the problem? And post the code for the offending block(s) here?

I strongly suspect it's just 1.4 blocks that don't work, but the admin screen should not go blank no matter what. We must fix this.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Jan Dierckx -
I've already made a 1.5 version of the clock block. The wikipedia block is just a search form which links to wikipedia, so it might be possible to enter the content directly in a html block.
The bookmark block code is not that easy to update. It has three database tables attached to it,  of which one should make use of the standard blocks table which is now in the block code. The database calls are not Moodle's standard calls because this block is an adoption of a program by Stephan Frech. Language strings are not completely finished. Furthermore I have discovered that it is not easy to manage students sharing their bookmarks. This functionality does not belong in a block. It should be in the glossary. (moderated commentable student entries)

I have directly visited your site's /moodle/blocks/ directory (there should be an empty index.html to prevent this) and did not find any directories with names for the three blocks you mentioned. So you succeeded in deleting them, right?

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Bryan Williams -
Attached is a version of the WikiPedia block that returns the search in English, within a new browser window. Works on 1.4 versions.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
...and just to add, it will search in whatever the current language is, not just English (the interface, however is in English - needs language strings).

wink
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Jan Dierckx -
Nice, who made this? Wish I had found out about this before. Thanks!