Can´t install modules

Can´t install modules

by Javier Villalonga -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everybody,

I am getting started using moodle, I am trying to use some modules but an error appear, what I am doing is:

Download different modules from https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=2

Then I upload it to the folder /mod

Then I go to my administrator page, and click on "update database" (on the bottom of the site)

Then this error appears:

Debug info: Missing version value in version.php
Error code: detectedbrokenplugin
Stack trace:
  • line 546 of \lib\upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown
  • line 358 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1524 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 329 of \admin\index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

The version of my moodle is 2.3.3 (Build: 20121112) (info from  moodle/version.php), and I use wamp to set the apache server, mysql and php  (local)

Can anybody help me ??

Thank you very much :D

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Villalonga

Re: Can´t install modules

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The most likely causes are:

1. You uploaded the wrong type of code to the directory. The link to the plug-ins you provided is for "blocks". Did you try to install a block the "/mod" directory?
  2. You uploaded a higher level directory into the "/mod" directory, rather than the root of the plug-in. Check that the "/mod" directory contains a subdirectory named after the module you installed.
  3. You incorrect file protection on your installed plug-in files.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Robert Brenstein -
4. The plugin you are trying to install is not compatible with your version of Moodle.
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Javier Villalonga -

Thank you very much for the help, as you say, I tryed to install the block uploading it to /mod, but a block is not a module, now I uploaded it to blocks and it works (I didnt see /blocks directory blush).

Module and plugin are the same thing?

Then when I go to plugin directory, https://moodle.org/plugins/ what are plugins/modules ??

All are plugins but with different type of function, then each category of plugins go in a different directory ??  for example: 

Blocks --> to blocks directory

Reports --> to reports directory

??? ---> to mod directory

etc

Am I correct?

Sorry for the questions, some of them could be obvious for somebody who has work with moodle for a while but I am new with this tipe of cms.

Thanks everybody :D