Moodle 2.0 vs EDU 2.0

Re: Moodle 2.0 vs EDU 2.0

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 29

Peter, this is not true of Moodle.  There is a community + premium model, just not by that name.

The free version is called Moodle.  I call it "core Moodle" or "OOTB Moodle".  The Premium versions include ELIS, Joule and Totara.

If you want proper outcomes, enhanced tracking, member management, learning pathway management, decent reports, across Moodle grade reporting, enhanced video deployment, better navigation, happier administrators (etc) you can buy these.

1. http://www.totaralms.com/feature-a-benefits
  2. http://rlcommunity.remote-learner.net/
  3. http://www.moodlerooms.com/meet-joule

There are more that are not so well known. 

With Moodle + Plugins, there is another option.  Some Moodle Partners (and other providers) make their plugins available, others keep them for their hosted servers.

There are some distributions.  CLAMP is one, (where there is a paid closed community around it) and Moodle in Schools (totally free download) is another (where there is basically no community/governance arrangement)

None of this worries me.  It's not BAD or GOOD it just IS. 

Your loss leader model is correct: but it is not the only option.  Moodle as I define it above is not a Loss leader, it is the flagship.

I'll respond to Tim and Colin in due course: but my opinion is this, that Moodle out of the box is not good enough to fulfil basic needs, except for very small stable enrolment courses, or very free and open settings. 

Core themes lack basic features that could be added in a few hours, formats are inadequate for the distance, reporting is too basic to be of any use, member management is poor, bulk course creation/delete is difficult, management of diskspace eg private files is non-existant, Moodle forums are poorly featured, scroll of death, navigation scroll of death etc. 

I'm reluctant to work with clients now if they won't pay to have a few themes and plugins installed, and I won't support hosters who don't do this, and it took me 18 months to find suitable partners.  Most of these issues are sorted well and good in the Moodle "preimum" installs (Like have you seen the doozy cool stuff in Totara?)  They can be sorted with a few plugins, to a certain extent.  This is my conclusion after 5 years of trying to get some basics into Moodle core so I can recommend Moodle core, and basically failing on most counts. 

And then working for clients or chit-chatting to friends who say "can I bulk create 30 courses?".  I want to say 'Yes, use this plugin'.  Or Navigation sucks, and I say "Use the course menu plugin".  Or navigation menu sucks, and I say "Use Decaf_green".  Or can I find a report that says who has not posted? ues, with tis addon.  This is the community + do it yourself premium you may be looking at Peter.

Moodle sometimes is too prone to say "Fix the user".  I'm not sure it is a good listener (in general, although I am sometimes suprised as http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-33688) and I'm not sure there is any user testing as has been described here.  I like the forums with coders and non-coders in, but the communication barrier is still great.  Ungratefulness and parsimoniousness on one side and "so it's open source, code it yourself" or "fix the user" on the other side.  A suprising amount happens thought with Moodle (glass half full view) and a lot doesn't happen that in another setting (eg Edmodo, EDU 2.0 or canvas) is a no-brainer (glass half empty view)

But basically I am here, because of a range of trajectories.  At the moment, most of my Moodle work I do Pro Bono.  The latest workshops I've run I've set aside the registration fees to MiS development.  (Not getting much!!)

We shall see.  Tim's elephant analogy: there are easy and hard ways to eat an elephant.  A bit more planning and prioritising, user testing (what's the quickest way to eat this limb?) and dialogue (I'll stay out of your way while you are cooking up a rib) could make the process more efficient, quicker, more fun and more satisfying.

Gee.  Longer than I meant to post.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Marc Grober -

bingo

In reply to Marc Grober

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Marc, and Peter, I understand what you are getting at, and yes, there is the intellecutal laziness, if you like, of a Windoze user, which is where I get my perspective of how the word "intuitive" has become indistinct from "familiar" in the PC. 

Bottom line is that Moodle's days are numbered unless it lifts its game. OK, I know that Oz is a very small market, supplying probably less than 5% of Moodle's 60million odd users, not counting the sites not registered. However, if a product is successful in usurping Moodle, Blackboard, Sakai, D2L, killing Canvas before it gets established, wrecking EDU while in its infancy, in Australia, how long will it be before it reaches New Zealand, then east across the Pacific? If it gets into Europe, what is the main problem then? This is just business. It is not the product that is the threat, it is the idea the product represents. How long before someone picks up on it and pushes their product even further - it might already be happening.  

I doubt Moodle is ready to face this kind of competition, and unless it is brought to the attention of the devs, it is likely they will be standing there wondering if a Moodle 3.0 is even a remote possibility or unemployed or worse, they may even be unable to be upgraded. I love my Moodle, but it will be taken away from me, and that makes me unhappy. What is worse, Marc, the people I might have to fight are not those on the other side, but those with whom I should be aligned with. Either way, I am bound to lose, but Don Quixote has always been my hero..smile

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Derek:  Thanks for adding your perspective. But since you don't know the other OS applications I'm thinking of - and I don't feel I can reveal their names ("to protect the guilty") - let me just propose the following hierarchy:

1) OS applications that are basically unusable w/o the "premium" version
2) OS applications that are fully usable w/o the "premium" version
3) OS applications that have enhanced "bells and whistles" in the premium version.

The ones I'm thinking of fall clearly into category #1. But Moodle does not fall into that category, IMHO. It falls into category #2. I've introduced Moodle core over the years to dozens of clients, all of whom were very happy with it (with that one exception I noted). And doesn't Moodle core meet the needs of 60+ million users? Why aren't they all screaming for ELIS, Totara, etc?

Maybe what I'm proposing here is a taxonomy for OS applications. I'd be interested in hearing whether others would validate it. Thanks.

Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by Derek Chirnside -

Just thinking Peter: are you meaning Moodle core (ie out of the box) is fully useable in all but one of your clients?

And are you meaning in a software Useability sense or just "Easy to use" or 'fit for purpose'? 

-Derek

by Peter Seaman -

Yes to all of your questions. And in fact Moodle was perfectly useable by that one client but she didn't like it b/c it wasn't "sexy" enough: the buttons didn't make a clicking noise and the text didn't whoosh across the page. I think I've always valued Moodle for the lack of such worthless surface features, but obviously some people value them.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that there is already some things happening in some of the areas you identify. (Though these responses could just read like a list of excuses.)

"Core themes lack basic features that could be added in a few hours,"

Don't tease, us. Please give us the tracker issue numbers for what these are.

"formats are inadequate for the distance," "scroll of death,"

Have you looked at the changes in 2.4 yet? and further changes should follow in 2.5.

"reporting is too basic to be of any use,"

There is talk of getting the reporting system from ELIS, or one of the other commerical add-ons, into Moodle core.

"member management is poor, bulk course creation/delete is difficult,"

Many people solve it by integrating Moodle with their student information system, or LDAP, or some other system. It would to have better tools built in to Moodle, but I don't think that is the biggest priority for Moodle HQ, compared to some of the other things you suggest, and which they are already working on. I think these sorts of admin tools are the sort of thing that could be contributed by someone outside HQ.

"management of diskspace eg private files is non-existant,"

This would be relatively easy to add, if it has not already been done. Is there a tracker issue?

"Moodle forums are poorly featured,"

I know you know how glacial the progress towards getting forumng into Moodle core has been.

"navigation scroll of death"

This was discussed during one of the sessions at the recent developer conference, and some sensible dicisions made. See http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Perth_Hackfest_October_2012/Navigation_and_UI. Hopefully they will get implemented in Moodle 2.5.

I think that, while it may not be very visible, Martin spends a lot of his time reading forums, looking at tracker issues, going to conferences, talking Moodle partners (who know what their clients are saying), ... all to try to work out which of the many ideas for how Moodle should develop next are most important, and hence that he should get his staff to work on. In the last year he has recruited Barbara, a web/ui designer, (http://moodle.com/hq/team/) and her work is starting to make a difference to the slickness of Moodle, although there is a long way to go.

However, Moodle development can only move at a certain speed. (See 4. and 5. of Lehman's laws of Software Evolution.)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Tim, well done, thanks.  I do know the time it takes to look up and track this type of stuff.

I was going to post that I thought you were too hard in some of your earlier comments.  You are nearly in a unique situation.  You have been in Moodle HQ, a student and a core developer.  I'm not sure if you have ever eavesdropped on staff taining or been an admin for a core Moodle site.

You insitution has been in the lucky position of being able to enhance Moodle when it needs to.  Pedagogically you decide certain interactions are needed (like your study mode in UI) so you build NG (announced in 2009 https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=137549) User and admin things follow:  you build a new wiki, new course format, new Blog, three new questions types using drag and drop, reports, workflow etc.  It must be just different looking at others using core Moodle from your perspectice.  I was fooled by this: I met some gus from OU and heard about what they were doing pre-moodle and was impressed, then heard you had adopted Moodle (which in the early days in my country was a big plus) but then later, at aconferences, discovered the Moodle used by OU was not the Moodle I struggled with.  smile

Be that as it may, my list was just an indicative one.  I'm writing from the point of view of the basic user who is unable to do plugins for whatever reason.  I'll follow up on some of your comments.  Meanwhile:

1. ForumNG.  You are right of course.  A little bump: Why has no-one responded to my comment here suggesting how to proceed next: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34144?focusedCommentId=182222&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-182222  (Busyness?  No-one noticed it?  It's a stupic suggestion?)
  2. Themes: Point taken.  I'll create one later.  I did a comparison of some of the features in the docs: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Standard_themes#Notes_on_individual_themes - the combination of CSS changes possible, logo and nothing quirky is rare.  
    The theme tracker item that has rocketed up to 30 votes in about that many days is this one, but it may be in hand: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35434
  3. Admin tools: like bulk course create.  The code has been there for years from a good source in the tracker.  MoodleHQ is just not prioritising this.  Took me a long time to realise this.  We live with this.  Mind you in a serindipity, I got an e-mail this morning back from Moodle on this issue from nearly a year ago!!  
  4. Yes, Some of the other comments do sound like excuses.  smile  
  5. Some of the other points I will follow up on and create some focused tracker items.

Point taken about Martin.  This discussion has been traversed elsewhere. "the road map is pretty high level only, has only a small pending tray, and there is always a large number of items in people's minds and there is patchy visibility to outsiders"  I had not heard of Barbera (the link you post is possibly mistyped)  I'm not sure I am looking at speed.  I am looking at the smaller items, with disproportionate significance, within the general direction.

Anyway, I'll report back sometime.

-Derek

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have never been a Moodle admin (apart from development sites). However, I work in the same open plan office as the people who administer our Moodle site, and as well as writing our own plugins, we have improved some of the admin funcitonality in Moodle core to make their lives easier. Things like that ability to choose which user profile fields appear in most reports; the first version of the 'Check permissions' functionality (Petr later re-wrote it); there must be lots more, but I can't think now.

I only very occasionally get to eves-drop on training sessions.

1. Almost certainly business. The real problem is that any any given time, either Moodle HQ or sam marshall are busy.

3. It is a known issue that suggested patches get stuck at the point in the process where someone should peer review them. During the developer meeting Moodle HQ got as far as creating a dashboard in the tracker, to make it clear how bad the problem is: http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=13051. Now thatt Moodle 2.4 is released, hopefully they will have time to work through that backlog a bit.

Note that one of the directions Moodle HQ is taking is to make it easier for admins to find, install and upgrade add-ons from the plugins database.

http://moodle.com/hq/team/ - before I put that in brackets, and auto-linking includes the close bracket in the URL. I wonder if that is reported in the tracker? Yes: MDL-22390.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brian Peat -

None of you guys know me, but I've been building moodle sites for my employer over the last several months and am about to move one from Desire2Learn over to moodle. I'm a joomla guy, so learning Moodle was an interesting experience. 

On the first site, in order to me more in control of the environment for the students, I actually used Joomdle to wrap moodle inside the Joomla site and used Jomsocial as the profile engine. IN the end, the students see ONLY what I want them to see, including only the topic area of the course (no top or side nav, no profiles, nothing else but the course content main column stuff).

The one benefit is I got a social area (which I was happy to see the students using!) and I was able to use the Joomla ACLs to limit students to different pages in Joomla (such as class mp3s or a live feed for online students that onsite students didn't see). Originally I was going to try all kinds of complicated groupings and multiple copies of the courses in Moodle and they just gave up the fight and went with joomla as the wrapper. 

In the end, I'm REALLY happy with the result. I acutally wish someone would write Moodle as a full Joomla component the way folks have done with things like open cart-where it FEELS native inside joomla and not just an iframe. Anyway, that's a long shot that's not likely to happen.

So, all that said, the things that I got hung up on were these:

(Keep in mind, I'm not schooled in all the plugins and work arounds that are available, this is from my perspective of being given the task to launch a new moodle install for our ministry school)

• The admin navigation is endless. In joomla there's a front end, and a back end and I work on both in 2 tabs in my browser. In moodle, there's a sea of endless items in the side bar, and if you've also got a course open, you get an endless list of topics that you keep having to collapse. I'd love to see a better way to handle the admin stuff. Maybe I just need to mess with it more and find a way to move the admin to one side and the course stuff to the other side, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • The admin is so filled with setting screens that I can never remember where something is. I continually have to google stuff just to find where a setting was. Sometimes they're just stuck in odd places (like advanced or experimental). It's frustrating compared to Joomla, but then there are a zillion more actual settings in there. Still, I think it could be more thought out and better organized.
  • Tied to this admin issue is the wiki. My problem with the wiki is it always assumed I knew WHERE something was and it only explained to me what it was used for. So when I went to try to set up groups and I wanted to hide groups from eachother, I went in circles before I finally found mention of a special setting to turn on an advanced option and then a check box would appear in the assignment edit screen. I wasted an hour figuring that one out. And that has happened several times. My coworkers have heard me yelling at the screen...JUST TELL ME WHERE IT IS ALREADY!!!!!
  • The layouts are very limited. Why can't I add blocks to the center column? Why can't I make some home page content visible to ONLY the public, and then other content only visible to logged in users? There's a little class in there I found I could use to hide things from non-logged in users, but there's not class for logged in users. On our newest site I had to fake the front page using a css trick I won't go into, but it was a lot of hacking and experimenting just to get around a big limitation. The suggestion on the forums was to use those special personal home pages. That's great in theory, but some of our students are older. So now, they've got the Public home page and their My Home, and they aren't the same, but they're both in the navigation. Instant confusion, especially because My Home has things they'll never use on it. I completely hid My Home with CSS because it can't be turned off in the menu.
  • No course "home" or "welcome" pages. On our second Moodle install (no joomla involved) I was trying to put a welcome message or video on the course home page when I realized, there is no course home page. The only way to do this is to try to hack one in with a label in the news or general activity area at the top of the course page. I gave up and just made a few activity entries instead and called it Course Information. I won't go into detail, and this one isn't a huge issue, it's just something that I got hung up on.
  • Roles and permissions sometimes don't go far enough. I'd love to be able to set up a non-editing teacher but give them the ability to create SPECIFIC activities in the top block of a course. I don't want them to be able to delete or edit anything else, just create and edit something (such as post a video or text message). Instead, we had to set up a forum for them to post announcements and a welcome video to.
  • No auto updates. I can't tell you how amazing it is to go into Joomla and click Update and have Joomla 2.6.7 updated to 2.5.8 in a matter of seconds. I know this is on the list, but it really should be pushed to the highest priority if possible. Build in a message that warns of specific changes if something might break. I know recently Joomla started adding 3.0 to the update screen, so you can see your 2.5.x updates or jump to 3. The warning there isn't strong enough, so you'd want to make sure your warnings are VERY strong so users don't get into bad situations.
  • Installing plugins still requires ftp (as far as I can tell). In joomla, I can visit an install screen and choose a file on my mac and install it. Better yet, if I purchased a 3rd party plugin called Akeeba Backup, it gives me restore points. I can literally install something, BREAK the front of the site, go into the back and roll the site back to the point before the install happened. It's wonderful. Of course one should really do this on a dev copy first, but in a pinch, it's great if you've been stupid.
  • Menus and navigation are disorganized and cluttered. I continually get stumped by the weird menus. Things show up in multiple places and blocks take googling to figure out why they are there and what they're for. I came from the joomla side of things and the menus there are 100% customizable. You can add side bar modules, tie them to a menu and turn them on, you can add or remove anything from any menu. The drawback, of course, is that you don't have ANYTHING in your menus if you don't first add them, so you might not want to go to that extreme if you're looking to attract new users. Or you set up a default menu and allow us to remove and add things we want. And I'm talking through a ui, not that text box in the theme settings window where you can create custom menu items by entering strings in a text box.
  • A few other little things I'd love to see. We use the activity completion chart to monitor student progress. I'd love an override function on that that lets instructors check a box and make a note as to why it was overriden. Recently we had a glitch and an questionaire response wasn't being checked off. I had to figure out where in the database I had to go to fix it because there's no override.
  • Bugs. There are a few, but with each new version, I'm seeing the ones I've encountered go away, which is great!

Anyway, I know this sounds like a gripe session, and my perspective is different from those who run massive schools with a real setup (we tend to not use grading much, and we don't do true quizes, rubric, etc), but I wanted to let you know what Moodle looks like from an "outsider" just getting into it from another platform.

That said, I ignore many of my joomla friends when they say "moodle is crap" because I know what they mean. They mean the admin is complex and the layout is very inflexible compared to joomla-but I have yet to find a learning component as extensive as moodle that's built for joomla.

We're sticking with it, mostly because #1 I usually find a workaround for most issues I run into and #2 WE can control the development. We're about to pay the poodll guy to modify his video plugin for us. If we were on a hosted system we simply couldn't do that.

Overall, I'm really happy with the power moodle provides, I just hope as it progesses, the layout and other features get some love and it really moves into a more modern feeling system.

hope that makes sense! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (10)
In reply to Brian Peat

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Good feedback Brian, worth reading and re-reading. One minor point, the 2.4 version that came out in the last few days means that updating both of Moodle and plugins can now done without FTP access.

It could be a while before Moodle wins any beauty contests, but I can live with that.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Troy Shimkus -

Very interesting observations Brian, many of which I share as a Joomla person myself.

I'd be very interested in possibly doing something similar to what you've done with the Joomla/Moodle combo. I have a couple clients that might be able to make some good stuff happen there.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Colin Fraser -

It does make a lot of sense Brian, and some good observations from a developer.

For me, the interface should almost be a separate identity which allows the user to use a generic or a bespoke, or anything in between skin. I love my Moodle, and I am going to lose it over the next year essentially because it does not have a sexy look. The power of the tool is ignored or even dismissed because of that. 

The other thing that is causing me angst is the concentration on the tool as a learning tool, in an age when kids don't wear watches unless as a jewellery item because it is a "single use device". Moodle really does need to stretch itself if it want to continue to grow. The most obvious direction here is institution/school and student/user management. I am sure there would be something in Joomla that would already meet that need, at least partly, so the addition of Moodle is a logical progression.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tim Hunt -

I think you are wrong about single-use software.

There is a fundamental difference between hardware and software on the internet. On the web, the next device is just a click away. In fact think about Moodle.org. It does not matter that moodle.org, docs.moodle.org and tracker.moodle.org are all different web applications. In fact, it lets us have best of breed for each bit of the site.

There are some people who argue that you should not have Moodle at all, at least, not any of the activities. You should just have Moodle for the course structure, and all the other systems should be External tools the you connect to via LTI.

I think that is also too extreme. The scope Moodle has set for itself is the institution-provided learning and teaching space. We have decided that ePortfolio, Student information system, Repositories, ... are separate systems. We should integrate with them well, but we cannot build best-of-breed versions of these within Moodle, at least not if you expect us to spend time making the Moodle UI much slicker.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"We have decided that ePortfolio, Student information system, Repositories, ... are separate systems. We should integrate with them well, but we cannot build best-of-breed versions of these within Moodle, at least not if you expect us to spend time making the Moodle UI much slicker."

Hear hear

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brian Peat -

I agree with this too. I actually didn't mind wrapping Moodle in Joomla to build something bigger...I'm letting moodle do exactly what it does best. That said, I would like it to have a little bit more flexibility in design and layout (though it certainly doesn't need to be a full fledged cms). I think as long as moodle could be configured as a hub or as a spoke to another hub, that will replace needing to be a jack of all trades. What I mean is, if the APIs are good, systems could be linked to it (the way I linked joomla to it via joomdle) and information could be shared. 

We're eventually going to need some sort of student management system. I have no experience in this at all, but I'm hoping when we're ready that there's something REALLY robust and powerful that can talk to Moodle.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Tim Hunt -

You should have a lot of flexibility in design and layout, unfortunately, the framework that exists to make that possible is currently broken. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216458#p942784 or MDL-34496 if you are interested in more details.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brian Peat -

I just skimmed through that thread. I was wondering why there aren't Moodle template clubs. We are members of 4 joomla theme/extension clubs right now and it's nice to have that to pull from. I usually start with a stock theme and hack away at it...but even the most basic joomla templates are flexible because of the joomla framework. Add something like Gantry to it and it's even more so. Anyway, I'm rambling now. We're moving TO moodle from a hosted system (or no system at all), so we're happy so far, even WITH the limitations.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Troy Shimkus -

I would second that Brian, a Gantry or Warp setup would be great. Not too sure it will ever happen given the stark differences between the existing moodle tempalte engine and those, but that would definitely go along way toward improving the layout options in Moodle.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Brian,

I am an old joomla template club member too and we were discussing about different template and grid systems in theme forums a couple of years ago (2008-2010) very intensively. I was also testing Gantry inside "early versions of moodle 2.0" and the main problem was that moodle has a built-in YUI library that you can't "switch off" - and Gantry is using Mootools that had and most likely still has conflicts with YUI. So it was/is possible to create a separate "theme css admin page" (outside moodle) to create settings for Gantry based themes and use these settings as a part of Moodle Themes but it was not possible to use Gantry itself as a part of moodle themes. After my testing period I even sent email to Andy Miller (CEO/Founder/Head Kahuna of RocketTheme Team - creator of Gantry) and asked if they were interested in adding a Moodle Club to http://www.rockettheme.com/ but obviously Gantry development for Joomla and WordPress was taking most of their resources and even if RocketTheme has currently also a phpBB3, Magento and Drupal Template Club (sunsetting this year) their main interest was/is to create great looking Joomla and WordPress themes for growing markets. If you compare for example features of  http://www.rockettheme.com/joomla-templates/cerulean to current core themes of moodle we are now near the same situation that RocketTheme templates were before they implemented Gantry...

Basicly all moodle themes can be set to use layouts like http://demo.rockettheme.com/joomla25/cerulean/features/module-positions and you can create responsive layouts for moodle themes with lots of css and hard work and studying how different parts of moodle are using different css classes and ids - or add new theme settings - it may just take months/years to make moodle work like http://demo.rockettheme.com/joomla25/cerulean/

cerulan

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Tim Hunt -

If you would like to do something about this, head over to the themes forum, and help out with what Amy Groshek is attempting: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216519

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes, of course I can try to help there and I will - Amy, Mary, Danny, David, You and other people in theme forum have collected many good ideas to make moodle themes better. My comment was just a simple explanation why templating frameworks like Gantry and Warp can't be used directly with moodle.

You can do a lot with plain CSS and even more by moving forward to HTML5 but one essential element of UI design is also javascript and this is partly connected to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=188627 and some other discussions that Stuart Lamour started.

Things like Bootstrap were not originally meant to be used on top of YUI - to make Bootstrap as fast and reliable as possible you should use it without YUI reset-base-moodle base-custom theme css overwriting chains. YUI css files have the contextual version, CSS Reset's rules should be applied to nodes that descend from a node with a class value of .yui3-cssreset only - not everywhere:

<div class="yui3-cssreset">...</div>

I can't even tell in which yui widgets yui reset is actually needed and why default styles of HTML elements need reset - we have dropped support for IE6 a long time ago and other (modern) browsers render css almost equally. It's a pain to overwrite hundreds of css rules just to notice that it breaks again in the 4th list element - ask Mary about different YUI reset css bugs and she might see red wide eyes

Bootstrap has also jQuery plugins that "bring Bootstrap's components to life" ( http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html ) but since "jQuery" is a really Bad Word for some core developers it is banned like all other optional javascript libraries - you should use yui and nothing else but yui in moodle... so the only option to bootstrap javascript plugins might be http://jshirley.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html

Most common joomla template frameworks use either jQuery or Mootools - or both - for example Warp that Troy mentioned is using jQuery and Mootools for changing settings in administration and for creating different vivid effects and widgets on pages - see more details from pages like http://www.yootheme.com/themes/warp-framework or http://www.yootheme.com/demo/joomla/drive . And surely Yui widgets could be used as well if somebody just had the time and knowledge to create from a scrach a similar templating framework with YUI3.

The only "exception" in moodle 2, mymoodle theme, is using mobile jquery on top of yui and it was accepted to core only because YUI had no mobile options available.

Moodle 2 themes had many major improvements compared to moodle 1.X themes, for example output renderes, configurable settings, cache and free selection of layouts Special Thanks to You, Tim, and Petr & Sam. The unfinished parts can be added to moodle 3, right? wink

by David Scotson -
My experiments so far have yet to find a place where the YUI css actually has any effect. I've not yet found a way to simply not load it from within a theme though. I've deleted it from core Moodle though and not been able to tell the difference. (To be exact, the default font changed, but if your theme sets the font then you won't notice).

by Brian Peat -

FYI Joomla 3.0 uses bootstrap and they are making a new javascript manager to deal with the use of mootools along with jquery. I don't know what RT's plans are with gantry, but I have to wonder if they aren't going to move toward jquery/bootstrap or continue just rolling their own framework with mootools on top of it. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming months.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -

Tim, you may very well be right, separate systems and external tools may very well be the optimum, but I am not looking at optimum. My observations of my colleagues are not always flattering when it comes to technology. Unfortunately, it is they who are in the majority. I know that they prefer things simple, the simpler the better. I expect that single systems are a more attractive option for them. This does not make the applications any better - just simpler even if actually rubbishy when seriously, honestly, compared to Moodle.

EDIT: BTW, I am also a bit of  a slacker... logging into Moodle, then having to log into Moodle Docs then having to log in to Tracker... sucks. smile 

I suggest only that the broader the appeal of Moodle the more confident we, as a community, can be of Moodle's longer term future. To maximise that appeal, I offer that the interface needs to be reconsidered, simplified, and the abilities of Moodle are broadened, to include institutional/school administration and user/student management features. It is an opinion only and I would really dislike to be proven correct here, but I am certain that I am not too far from the mark. Time will tell and if we are still discussing this in five years, then maybe I am wrong, which I would gladly be. It may be that what Brian is doing, above, is what will ensure a longer term presence of Moodle, or another solution may present itself in time - but I failed my tea-leaf and palm reading classes at school so cannot really tell, only guess.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tim Hunt -

I agree that users want things to be simple. That still does not necessarily mean that Moodle should build everything. A good example of this is Linux. If you buy a laptop, or a server, running 'Linux' then actually what you are probably buying is some distribution like Redhat or Ubuntu comprising the Linux kernel, and numerous applications created by other projects. The distribution, which brings together all the different parts, is yet another project.

The point is that all these different projects are doing different kinds of work. The kind of things required to build the Linux kernel, or Libre office, or package it up for users, are all different type of software engineering, so it makes sense for them to be done by different groups of people. Now, a web-based VLE, and a web-based SIS are more similar than the Linux kernel and Libre office, but are they more similar that Libre office and GIMP?

At the moment, the only people packaging Moodle with other things (e.g. ELIS, Totara and Joule) are at the more commercial end of the Moodle community, so their work is not fully shared. But then in the Linux world, the earlier distros were more commercial, and the more open ones came later. I think. Actually, Debian has been around for a long time. I might be wrong.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -

Tim:

ePortfolio, Student information system, Repositories, ... are separate systems. We should integrate with them well, but we cannot build best-of-breed versions of these within Moodle,

then:

comprising the Linux kernel, and numerous applications created by other projects.

Is that not what I mentioned above? Why waste time on developing a wiki when mediawiki  is available? How about tools like WordPress as opposed to the blogging mod? Would integrating such tools not be a better option? Re-inventing the wheel is not always a good option.

Building something that integrates into a single interface is a better option, as you have already pointed out, twice... then why does Moodle not do that?  You obviously support that model, otherwise you would not have mentioned it. Perhaps we are not that far apart at all.. I am sure there are any number of smallish tools that perform a single function or do a number of important functions but are underperformers in their own right. Could they benefit from inclusion into Moodle? Could Moodle use them to expand its capabilities?

I know it is certainly not a straight forward job, and may not be possible in every case, or develop a new tool without major rewrites, and in some cases it might be better writing a whole new module. I know I seem to be making simplistic statements and asking simplistic questions, but I do know a little about coding for a large, well established, products. I also understand that shortcuts do not always lead to improvements, nor to a stable product, ask Blackboard about that. But that is one way how Moodle could stay in the game and not get left behind.      

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marc Grober -

Colin,

The argument for employing a rather more common API so that apps can use best of breed web2.0 components has been made on a regular basis, and has been dismissed on just as regular basis as it has been made. While I sympathize with those who have made those decisions (and can understand much of their rationale),  I am, as are you, obviously disappointed by that fact.....  and that is that. Nothing to see here folks; time to move on.

In reply to Marc Grober

by Tim Hunt -

Actually, if you want to integrate any other web app, then since Moodle 2.2, then potentially you can, using the External tool plugin, which implements the LTI standard. And then you don't have to use the standard Moodle tools, if you prefer the external tool you have found.

The main arguments for maintaining our own tools, inside Moodle, are:

1. The requirements for a tool used in an educational setting, where there are separate roles teacher and student, and teachers may wish to grade or monitor students, are somewhat different to the requirements on a generic tool on the internet.
  2. We have a set of tools in Moodle that are the results of 10 years of community discussion and development to work out what the requirements for a forum / wiki / quiz system that is used for teaching and learning. It would be silly to throw that away now.
  3. A suite of tools on the internet will have less consistent UI that a suite of tools build into Moodle, therefore requiring teachers and student to spend more time learning the technology, rather than the subject. (Although that technology learning might be more transferable than learning to use Moodle.)
Average of ratings: Useful (3)