Comparisons and advocacy

Picture of Marc Grober
Re: Moodle 2.0 vs EDU 2.0
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think, Colin, that what Tim was suggesting is that making Moodle more MS-windows like it became a better product; and of course there are those that do not agree.  I don't think slickness makes for ease of use,  and graphic intensive and complex web material renders, in my opinion,  such resources more difficult to use.  Moreover, who cares if something is NOT slick,  if it IS easy to use. Well, the answer to that question is, "MS window users", lol, who whine that they want the latest and greatest, and then bellyache that it breaks and that they have to buy new hardware to run bloated apps, rofl. Wordstar was an incredible application......

Now we have Moodle 2.whatever,  which the devs are proud of. It still has the same hurdles it always has had, and the consuming industry is going to likely respond in the ways it always has.  ONLY, commercial apps are likely to make better impressions because they can offer slicker interfaces, more comprehensive support covereage, and better integration. AT a price, of course, but that is the same problem ith Microsoft products, and yet Microsoft is still doing very well, lol.

Now, if CLAMP pushed for an integration with Open SMS for example and a financial app into some open ed portal (somewhat along the lines that jasig was working) then you have a robust consortium driven app that could not only run the members' system but could be used by them as a profit center to further development of the integration. But then,  even CLAMP has its concnerns: http://www.clamp-it.org/2012/06/clamp-moodle-2-x-deployment-report/

And of course, Tim's comment about contributing is a tiny bit narrow, as the devs would not even agree to decouple DragMath from the TeX filter, requiring everyone to do that manually (a special hurrah for that,  though I am informed by Jean-Michel but have yet to confirm for myself that the editor will now allow SEE to be implemented without its whole replacement.)  Does that make Tim an ogre? He may enjoy acting like one, lol, but he is just doing what he thinks is right,  and when it comes to this kind of "project" some wonder why others seem not to experience the issues they experience for themselves (ack, and I tell students NOT TO USE PRONOUNS, lol.)

It is what it is, Colin, and neither you nor I will change it.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Moodle 2.0 vs EDU 2.0
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have no idea what you mean by 'more MS-windows like' (despite the following explanation) so I am pretty sure that is not what I am suggesting.

Issues around editor plugins have probably been fixed in 2.4: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.4_release_notes#Improved_TinyMCE_editor_integration, so you may have lost one battle, but you have won the war.

I do not enjoy acting like an ogre, but clearly I do behave like that when I am too tired, like last week. Please forgive me.

Average of ratings: -