Move quiz questions to new category

Move quiz questions to new category

by Corey Lee -
Number of replies: 9

Hi there,

I have created a set of questions inside a course > activity/resource > quiz, and it has been attempted by some students. Now I need to move them to a new quiz category, so do I need to remove all attempts before I can do that?

Thanks.

Corey

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Corey Lee

Re: Move quiz questions to new category

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't necessarily have to move the questions in the questions bank if you just want to use them in a new quiz. By default, all the questions you create go into a question bank for the course, and you can then just add them to any other quizzes in the same course.

If you need to use the questions in a different course, then there are two options. The simpler option is to use the Export option (using Moodle XML format) to get the questions out of one course, and then Import them into the other course. This has the advantage that if you edit the questions to adapt them to the new course, then this does not change things in the old course. (It has the disadvantage that if you need to edit the questions to fix the mistake, there are now two copies to edit.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Corey Lee -

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the reply. I actually have a related question wondering if you can help.

I have 3 chapters in a course, and each chapter has their own quiz. But unfortunately the quiz matches these chapters incorrectly so I have to re-match them accordingly. But these quizzes are already attempted by students, so that means I can't just to in and remove questions from category A and add questions from category B in Question Bank. And I do not want to delete these attempts because we'll need these numbers for statistics and reports.

Can anyone help on this issue? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Corey

In reply to Corey Lee

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, I can't work out what you mean by "the quiz matches these chapters incorrectly". Moodle does not use the word 'chapter', and I can't work out what you mean by that.

Would it help to attach some screen grabs?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Corey Lee -

Hi Tim,

I've attached a screenshot, you see here I have 10 chapters, so the problematic ones that have the wrong set of quiz are Ch. 6 , 7 , 8.

Attachment chapters.png
In reply to Corey Lee

by Corey Lee -

Another screenshot attached - This is what i see when i click "Edit quiz" for Ch.6 quiz. The questions are from a category named "Chapter 77 Questions", so these questions will need to be moved to Ch.7 instead, but i do not want to delete attempts.. please help thanks so much.

Attachment questions.jpg
In reply to Corey Lee

by Tim Hunt -

I think you are in luck. You don't acutally need to edit the quzzes at all. You just need to move the quizzes to a different week.

If you got to the main course page, and turn editing on, you should be able to drag each quiz to a different week.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Corey Lee -

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much you really save my life ! I'm able to just drag and move the quizzes around. So actually these are actually called "weeks" in the Moodle term? 

Thanks a lot!

In reply to Corey Lee

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Corey,

In a Moodle course, the various sections on the course front page are default-called "weeks" if your course has been set to Weekly format or Topics is set to Topics format.

screenshot #1

In your case, it seems you have edited those sections names to rename them "Chapters".

screenshot #2

Moodle users who always use the Weekly format tend to refer to sections as "weeks" (as Tim did in his post). People like myself who only use the Topics format tend to refer to sections as "topics".

Joseph

In reply to Corey Lee

by Tim Hunt -

Well, what those bits of the course are called depends on what 'Course format' you have selected. If your course is using 'Weekly format' then they are called weeks, and if you use 'Topics format' then they are called topics. You might find this docs page userful:  http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Course_homepage