'Profile settings for [username]' > 'Roles' >'Assign roles relative to this user' not showing - help please

'Profile settings for [username]' > 'Roles' >'Assign roles relative to this user' not showing - help please

by a m -
Number of replies: 7

'Profile settings for [username]' > 'Roles' >'Assign roles relative to this user'

This isnt showing in the user profile settings. I am using v2.2.

Can anyone suggest how I activate this? I have an admin role for the site.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to a m

Re: 'Profile settings for [username]' > 'Roles' >'Assign roles relative to this user' not showing - help please

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You need to have already made a role or edited a role such that it is applicable in the user context via Settings>Site admin>Users>Permissions>Define roles for it to appear.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: 'Profile settings for [username]' > 'Roles' >'Assign roles relative to this user' not showing - help please

by a m -

I had followed that route but Im unsure about which permission to 'allow' Im wondering if  Assign roles to usersmoodle/role:assign should be set to 'allow' but should this be in the student role or the teacher role?

In reply to a m

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Alison - what exactly are you tryiing to do? You would usually only use the "user" context if you were making a role such as a mentor for instance and I can't offhand think of other reasons why you would want to assign a role to a user. Have a look at this page in the documentation http://docs.moodle.org/en/Assign_roles

In reply to Mary Cooch

by a m -

Hi Mary - I want ot assign a student to a teacher so that that teacher has a list of their class in a mentee block. I did this in v1.9 and it worked well but when I try to assign a role relative to the pupil this option isnt showing in the pupil profile.

In reply to a m

by Mary Cooch -

Hm- OK well I think you would have to go to the teacher role edit it and tick the user box for context and then it should work in the student profile but if they want a class list why can't they just use the participants link?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by a m -

Thank you - that did the trick smile

The participants link would have worked but we have parallel classes and pupils are allowed accesss to other year group course pages so the list of names covers several year group making it tedious to identify your own pupils.

Thanks for your help.

In reply to a m

by Mary Cooch -

Good! But if you have your course set to groups you could filter the participants list - glad you got what you wanted thoughsmile