Maximum size & number of attachments in Glossary in Moodle 2.3+

Maximum size & number of attachments in Glossary in Moodle 2.3+

by James Thomas -
Number of replies: 2

Firstly, I hope this is the right forum. I thought there was a separate one for Moodle 2+, but there is nothing on this page to indicate that it's M1. 

Anyway, in Glossary there is no maximum upload setting. But in the Course Settings HELP it says that each activity module has this. I would like to ask my students to link pictures, but not let them  upload them. Any advice?

[2nd question moved to new discussion]

Could somebody please enlighten me. I want to add this glossary to every unit in a course, but I can't duplicate it until it does what it promises.

Many thanks

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Thomas

Re: Maximum size & number of attachments in Glossary in Moodle 2.3+

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi James, Yes this is the right forum for any questions related to the Glossary module in Moodle (all versions).

Please stick to the usual rule: one question per post only. I am answering your first question in this discussion and have started another discussion to answer your second question.

You are quite right, there are no Maximum attachment size or Maximum number of attachments settings in the Forum settings, unlike in the Forum settings. There should of course be one. The code in mod/questionnaire/edit.php says:

$maxfiles = 99;                // TODO: add some setting
$maxbytes = $course->maxbytes; // TODO: add some setting

I will post an 'improvement" request in the Moodle Tracker for future versions.

However this does not quite answer your question. You want to prevent the students from attaching files to their Glossary definitions. What about teachers? Will they be prevented as well?

Also, even in you could prevent students (or any-one) from attaching images (or other files) to their Glossary definitions, since the HTML editor is available to them when editing the Definition, they could still use the Insert/Edit image on the toobar to add images inside their Definition text, so what?

It would help if you said why you want to do this (prevent your students from uploading images to their glossary definitions). After all, if you set your Glossary to Approved by default: No, you (as teacher) could always remove any "offending" images from the students' new entries before approving them. Or else what is exactly the problem?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Maximum size & number of attachments in Glossary in Moodle 2.3+

by James Thomas -

Dear Joseph, many thanks - this is very helpful. And sorry about more than Q in the posting - I am strict with my sts about this!

The reason I don't want sts to upload pics is because eventually it will consume a lot of space. Streaming them is a better option for me.

Your point about the HTML edittor had not occurred to me - I would like to disable the pic and vid elements of this if possible. On the other hand, they are needed to enable streaming. Oh dear.

So to answer your "teachers as well", this is something I would like to see in Permissions, i.e., which roles can upload ...

Thanks and now to the second question ...