General help

Picture of Mark Hardwick
How to build an online course?

Hi,

I've been using Moodle quizzes for about two years now in conjunction with our face to face training we offer.  I'm now building our first online course and before I devote the time and resources for it I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Is there a guide to building online courses that gives several options of components that can be used?  I've tried searching these forums for a general guide but I may not be typing in the right search words.

Could anyone give me a general description of what an online course looks like and the components they use?

Thanks,

Mark

Moodle 2.24    

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: How to build an online course?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello Mark. Well, there is no right or wrong answer really because an online course is what you want it to be. Some are just a load of powerpoints, static resources, while others are much more interactive with videos conferencing, peer assessment activities. It really depends on your preferences and the client's needs and the subject of your learning. It might be good to look at example courses (even though they aren't designed for totally online use) to give you some ideas of structure and activities. So you could:

1. go to http://school.demo.moodle.net/ which is a demo school site and which has lots of working courses with students. Although it is guest access, you need really to log in as a student (username student, password moodle) to try out the activities and see how it operates. While it might not be your subject or age range, you will get a good idea of Moodle's potential
  2. Search MOOCH  hub.moodle.org which is a huge collection of courses people have donated - download one to your own Moodle and examine it; that might give you some inspiration too.

Picture of pinguas pinguim

Hello Mark,

I am trying to do an face to face infra-estructure, but I don't known where to start can you give some tips about it, I have installed appointment, sheduler mode and face to face module, can you give some way on how to create a fece to face between students and teachers?

thanks for nay kind of help...

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mark,

You will probably get some very good ideas from people like Mary, and others.  I can share a few of my ideas.

I now teach mostly "blended" courses, but I do do one completely online.  It transitioned from face-to-face, to blened, to online.  Actually, I recommend this approach because developing high quality online components takes time.

I can share two sets of videos with you.

1) These videos are what I give students for them to learn my Moodle.  It is slightly outdated, and I plan to update it over my winter break.  But it is still pretty good.  You can see in it some of the things that I do with Moodle.

2) These videos reflects what I give students at the beginning of one of my courses.  It may give you some ideas of things that you might want to do.

Of course, Moodle is a very flexible product and what you can do with it, and how you do it, will depend upon your own creativity. 

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Rick - how nice to see you on the video and learn about yousmile

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yes, that is really me!

This is how I let student learn about me.  It is a much more efficient way than taking time in class.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
At the platform independent level, this sounds promising:

Georgia Tech: "Fundamentals of Online Education: Planning and Application", on Coursera
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=212931 ("Teaching strategies" forum).

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Mary Cooch

Visvanath - I just signed up to this - I will be interested to see how it goes smile

Picture of Mark Hardwick

Mary,

Tthanks for the links. I went to mooch and found a course that looked like it had a sample of what I'm looking for and it is one that you contributed titled "Basic Moodle and Mountaineering". I'm having trouble getting it into my moodle as a course so I can open it up. I've saved it into a file but have not been successful in importing it into my moodle. When I select "import" I must choose from my existing courses without any options of outside sources. Any tips on importing courses from an external source would be great.

Also, one of your comments suggests creating it around a purpose and using the features that apply to what I'm trying to accomplish and that’s good advice.

Pinguas,

When I said "face to face" I was referring to the technical training that I've taught for the past 25 years has been where students come to our facility for training. Part of each course is classroom based and then we have thousands of square feet of lab area with equipment set up for hands-on training. From your post, I may be using face to face out of context or it may have two meanings.

Rick,

My transition into online training seems to be taking the same path. We have already incorporated moodle quizzes and testing across the board from the previous quiz module we were using. The first course that I want to take online should probably convert from its current 100% brick and mortar, face to face format and incorporate the online aspect into a blended course as you mentioned, and then grow from there. My second course that I'm thinking about will probably be more of the traditional online but I have some time on that one and will learn from the first one what can be done.

Visvanath,

I'll check out that link and see what it has. If anyone else has an online course on how to use moodle please let me know.

Thanks to all,

Mark

Mary Cooch

Mark. You back up the course and then you make an empty course in your Moodle and then inside that empty course you click the "restore" button NOT import and then follow the instructions from there. Importing is for within the same Moodle; restoring is for bringing in a course from another Moodle externally. Here are some instructions from the docs http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_restore