General help

Picture of Tom Moseley
Moodle 1.9 - random issue possible hack?

Hi

we have been experiencing a strange issue this last week and was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be causing it.

Tuesday 9:30 - moodle started running incredibly slow (taking minutes to load a page)

Day 2 - went off about 11
Day 3 - went off about 12:30
Day 4 - went off about 17:00

Then after about 2-3 hours it comes back running fine. The same thing keeps happening at different times. It runs really slow.  Tried disconnecting it from the network and running it at localhost and it still does the same thing. CPU usage seems to run a lot higher than normal But with no strange processes running in task manager. 

We have restarted iis, SQL and the server. changed setting in the antivirus. a scan found and removed 19 viruses but it still happened today.

No changes were Mande to the server before this started happening.

we run it on server 2003.

Any ideas would be gladly received.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Tom Moseley
Re: Moodle 1.9 - random issue possible hack?

Also the problem tonight seems to be mainly the front page. Once you are in and on different pages it runs better.

Thanks

Picture of Tom Moseley

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks

I Teach With Moodle
Group Testers

Really just a shot in the dark, could it be automated course backups not working properly?

Picture of Tom Moseley

Hi Frederic,

Thanks for your response. 

All our backups are run over night and have double checked when moodle runs slow that there are no backups or crons currently running.

Thanks

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Tom. Have you added anything extra to your front page that might be slowing it down? ( I worked out your school by the way and I see you do have a busy Moodle front page, although perhaps it worked fine before and you haven't added anything)

Picture of Tom Moseley

Hi Mary,

we had added some pictures but I have removed them. I think also if it was something like that it would be slow all the time not just random times for a bit. The front page has had this type of design for a while. 

It makes me think it is either the antivirus or some sort of process updating etc.

Cheers

Picture of Tom Moseley

Hi

We have noticed that it is MYSQL.exe that is using alot of processing power when it runs slow. The processes attached are running at the same time. Could these queries be causing the speed issue? Or are they normal?

Thanks

Tom

I Teach With Moodle
Group Testers

Hi again, 

could be something to do with your mdl_log table being massive or corrupted in some way. How long do you keep your logs for?

Cheers, 
Fred