Wiki copy does not contain any pages or files

Wiki copy does not contain any pages or files

by Marek Wójcik -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I have a Wiki module in my course. When I create a duplicate of this module, copy does not contain any pages or files.

Is it a moodle's bug or intentional act ??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marek Wójcik

Re: Wiki copy does not contain any pages or files

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marek,

What you describe is intentional. To make a copy including pages, you need to create a backup of the wiki activity including enrolled users, which teachers are not generally allowed to do. Please see the documentation Course backup and Backup of user data for more details.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Carol Rainbow -

Awww - I did such a lot of work on my wiki, I was hoping to copy it and not to have to reconstruct it sad

As I have already updated my course and done so much other work on my new course I do not want to start again from a back-up.

So sad.

Carol

In reply to Carol Rainbow

by John White -

Carol,

You may need your administrator to do the backup and restore if you do not have the rights to included all the user data. But, as Helen says, it is entirely possible to use this method to make a complete copy of your course, with its wiki, and all the entries in it. You would not then need to 'start again' without the wiki content. smile

Regards, John

In reply to John White

by Carol Rainbow -

Thanks John but my wiki is a small part of my course. Having already updated everything else it would have been great to copy my wiki over. 

I had  to rebuild the whole exercise for my students which just made a lot of extra, what seemed to be unnecessary work.

best wishes 

carol

In reply to Carol Rainbow

by John White -

Hi Carol,

You're right, that would be a lot of unnecessary work. But Backup and Restore does offer hope here too! You can backup your entire doner course (or selected parts of it) and restore it into a recipient course without having to overwrite all the recipient's existing content. Now this needs care, and I wouldn't attempt any such thing without first making a full backup of the recipient! What is more I would do the whole job TWICE, creating a new almost identical copy of the recipient (with only the short and long names changed a bit) and this course hidden from students. We'll call this our dummy recipient.

Then go back into your donor course and back it up, or at least those parts you want to transfer. Now download the backup file and go into dummy recipient and upload the file into its backup files area. Now restore this file from within the course and select "Merge the backup course into this course" and when offered "Keep current roles and assignments". Now check everything, but especially User enrolments in the course, your wiki content, and any other content that ought to still remain, e.g. Forum posts etc. Only if you are completely happy with the result should you then try this on the recipient course, and even then, not without knowing where you put that original backup file.

Regards, John 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Elizabeth Dalton -

I understand this limitation, but it can be a problem. While I would usually want to reset a forum discussion for a new term, there are many circumstances in which I can imagine wanting to keep the entries in a wiki (or database or glossary, for that matter). At minimum, I can see wanting to be able to keep the instructor posts in these activities. I think it would be worthwhile to consider making the "user data" import permission more granular.