Testing and QA

Mary Cooch
Re: 2.4 ASSIGNMENT - "grouping for student groups"
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Right -after much testing I think I have got this.

First of all, my bad ( I can't believe I used that term! - mea culpa would be more my style) for forgetting to enable group members only on my 2.4 dev site. 

Here is what I think:

The course is set up like so:

Group A comprising students 1,23 and Group B comprising students 4,5,6 are put into GroupingAB

Group C comprising students 7,8,9 are put into GroupingC

Student 10 is not in any group at all.

Scenario 1:

Make an group assignment. Ignore the “grouping for student groups” setting (none) and in the common module settings, set it to separate groups / GroupingAB and available to group members only.

Result:

Only students in the groupingAB will be able to see the assignment; students in group/groupingC and student 10 will not. The gradebook shows 4 groups A,B, C and  the default group. Student 10 has been put in the default group.

Scenario 2:

Make a group assignment. Set “grouping for student groups to “GroupingAB” and in the common module settings set it to separate groups/GroupingAB and available to group members only.

Result:

Only students in groupingAB can see the assignment; students in  grouping C and Student 10 will not. The gradebook shows 3 groups: group A, group B and the default group comprising group C and student 10

Scenario 3:

Make a group assignment. Set "grouping for student groups" to GroupingAB. In common module settings, leave it as  separate groups but grouping/none/and don't tick available for group members only)

Result:

Everyone can see and do the assignment. There are 3 groups: A, B and the default group. The default group comprises group C members and student 10 not in a group.

Scenario 4:

Make a group assignment. Set "grouping for student groups" to none. In common module settings  leave it as separate groups with no grouping and available for group members only not ticked.

Result:

Everyone can see and do the assignment . The gradebook shows 4 groups: group A, B, C and the default group which consists only of student 10 who wasn't in any group.

Scenario 5:

Make a group assignment. Set “grouping for student groups to “GroupingC” and in the common module settings set it to separate groups/GroupingC and available to group members only.

Result:

Only students in groupingC can see the assignment; students in  grouping AB and Student 10 will not. The gradebook shows 2 groups: group C and the default group  which comprises members of groups A, B and student 10

TEST:

Scenario 6:  A group assignment has the "grouping for student groups" set to "none" and the common module settings set to separate groups/GroupingC/available for group members only. Who will be able to access this assignment and how many groups will be displayed in the gradebook?

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Me!
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Mary, Thanks for your diligent testing!

Scenario 6: I think there should be only one group for the assignment in the gradebook and only members of Grouping C should see the assignment in this case. 

Average of ratings: -
Ray Lawrence
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Adding to this discussion, it's just occurred to me that the group assignment settings duplicate or ignore the standard group and groupings settings [MDL-37494]

Picture of David Morrow

Am I oversimplifying - or maybe just wrong - in my understanding that the "Students submit in groups" setting only allows for two groups: the grouping named in the "Grouping for student groups" setting and everyone else (the "default group")? In one limited test with a group of teachers, that was our experience.

To align with the scenario you've laid out, suppose that I create the following groupings:

• Grouping X, made up of Group A
  • Grouping Y, made up of Group B
  • Grouping Z, made up of Group C

I then set up an assignment with the following settings in place:

• Students submit in groups = yes
  • Grouping for student groups = Grouping X

Won't that result in only two groups within which students are working - Grouping X and the default group (everyone else)?

I ask because most of our students use groups to define the various periods (classes) of students within a particular course. Some have recently begun experimenting with setting up groups that are made up of subsets of students within (and among) those classes - for instance, a grouping that includes the groups of students from within those main class groups who need a different version of a test. We would like to use groupings to allow for group work within these main class groups. But it appears - again based on one limited test session - that this is not possible.

Any insight or direct help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

David

Picture of David Morrow

Sorry, I meant to write, "most of our teachers use groups to define the various periods (classes) of students within a particular course".

Me!
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi David,

How is it not possible to do what you want?

You have groups defined for the students - can't you put them in a grouping and use that?

Picture of David Morrow

Damyon,

Hello, and thanks for responding so quickly. My apologies for my delay in replying.

First, I will freely admit that I may be wrong - or that I may be trying to force the module to do something other than what was intended.

One quick question, the answer to which may clear things up for me - if students are members of more than one grouping, does that interfere with the "Students submit in groups" setting?

Now, the expanded scenario:

We are a K-12 school system. Most of our middle-and high-school teachers teach multiple blocks (periods, classes, sessions) of the same course. They set up groups - with group enrollment keys - to correspond to those groups (Block 1, Block 2, etc.), and the students self-enroll.

If we left things at that level of group organization (and created groupings to correspond to those groups), "Students submit in groups" would work fine, except that the groups submitting work would be the entire block of students. **If I am wrong here, or at any point in the rest of this, please point it out! I am not easily offended**

But... in a recent workshop with a group of about 12 teachers (enrolled in a course as students), we tried this:

• One course
  • Two groups: Block 1 (student 1-6) and Block 2 (students 7-12). These groups would correspond to physical classes of students.

Then...

• Two more groups: Group A (students 1,3,5,7,9,11) and Group B (2,4,6,8,10,12)
  • Two groupings: Grouping A (Group A) and Grouping B (Group A)

Those groups and groupings were set up to demonstrate the "Available to group members only" setting as a way to make activities available to targeted groups - the scenario being that there is a subset of students across all Blocks (groups) that require specific differentiation. This seemed to work fine for the "Available to group members only" setting.

Then...

• A new set of groups: Project Group A (students 1,2,3), Project Goup B (students 4,5,6), Project Group C (students 7,8,9), and Project Group D (students 10,11,12)
  • A new set of Groupings, made up of the individual project groups: Project Grouping A (Project Group A), Project Grouping B (Project Group B), etc.

The intent here (and the main point of all of this) was to allow for students to submit work in groups (multiple groups of three students each) within the larger groups (Block 1, Block 2 - the physical classes).

Then...

• Add a new Assignment.

The BIG QUESTION.... Is it possible for each of those Project Goupings to submit work as a group? And,if so, what settings would allow it?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

David

Picture of Susana L.

Hi David, we have exactly the same question!! Did you come to any conclusion?

Thank you,

susana