2.4 - how to upload multiple feedback files in zip

Re: 2.4 ASSIGNMENT- how to upload multiple feedback files in zip

by Joe Amatrucola -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I've had a similar question for a while.  In my scenario, my students submit a file, but I don't wish to add feedback to the submitted file.  I wish to submit a written report (PDF) that contains my commentary on the work they've completed, and I'd prefer not to attach each PDF one at a time for each student.

For example, I have 80 students complete an assignment that requires them to submit a Microsoft Access database file.  I download their submissions and review them, documenting all my notes in a grading program that's specific to that assignment.  My grading program kicks out a PDF report with my summarized feedback.  So, when I'm done grading I now have 80 PDFs that I'd like to ZIP and upload into Moodle as feedback files for the assignment submission.  Right now, I'm uploading each of the 80 files one at a time.

I've just recently upgraded to Moodle 3.0.1.

Thanks
Joe

In reply to Joe Amatrucola

by Jim Judges -

+1 to the query from Joe Amatrucola above. 

It would be very useful to be able to bulk upload feedback files that are not the original assignments. As Joe says the only option at the moment seems to be to upload the feedback files one at a time. With 80, 150 or even 300 students that is a slow process!

Does anyone know if this feature is available, being worked on or being discussed?

Many thanks & happy Moodling,

Jim smile

In reply to Jim Judges

by Phil Blyth -

Yes, it is possible to upload a zip file with feedback for multiple students. The key is to be sure you have the naming convention sorted. Or risk giving the wrong student the wrong feedback! So most likely you will be using a word-merge or other means of generating the feedback automatically.

1. Make sure your assignment has Feedback types of both Offline grading Sheet and Feedback files 
  2. 'View All Submissions' and then Grading Action - Download Grading Worksheet.
  3. This csv file will have Column A - Participant Number. This number is unique to the student AND the assignment, e.g. Participant 401,  And Column B - Full name, e.g. Joe Bloggs.
  4. Use this spreadsheet file to create the following naming convention for your feedback files. e.g. "Joe Bloggs_401_assignsubmission_file_.pdf". As far as I can tell the underscores are important!
  5. Zip your renamed feedback files.
  6. 'Grading Action - Upload multiple feedback files in a zip', drag and drop your zip file in.
  7. Sit back and enjoy a well earned break.

On trialling I think you may be better off putting each feedback file in its own folder per student e.g. A folder called ' Joe Bloggs_401_assignsubmission_file_' with a feedback file such as 'JoesFeedback.pdf', but I have not tested this enough to be sure.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Phil Blyth

by Phil Blyth -

Further edit- Rename your file to "Joe Bloggs_401_assignsubmission_file_JoesFeedback.pdf" causes a rename in the file the student sees to JoesFeedback.pdf.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)