Testing and QA

Mary Cooch
2.4 - how to upload multiple feedback files in zip
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I am trying to understand this - or at least, trying to get it work as I think it should. Does anyone have any pointers? I am presuming this means a teacher can have feedback files( eg in Word) zip them up and then when they upload them in the appropriate place in the 2.4 grading screen it will allocate them  to the correct student - but I can't get it to do that and I wonder if  am misunderstanding it?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: 2.4 - how to upload multiple feedback files in zip
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

@Mary,

Are you talking about the Assignment activity?

Mary Cooch
Re: 2.4 ASSIGNMENT- how to upload multiple feedback files in zip
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Oh yes - sorry - I didn't realise I hadn't said (because I knew what I was talking about!)blush

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Mary,

My guess (without having had time to try it yet!) is that you need an assignment with both file submissions and feedback files enabled. Students' file submissions can then be downloaded via the 'Download all submissions' link in the settings block. The teacher can edit the files and add feedback then zip them up and upload them. As long as the teacher doesn't rename the files, I imagine when they are uploaded they'll be associated with the correct student!

Anyway, that's my guess at how this new feature in Moodle 2.4 works. Please report back on how you get on!

Mary Cooch

Thanks Helen - I will give this a go. I thought I tried this yesterday but without success but maybe Cheryl and the gang were just a bit tired -they've been working quite hard testing 2.4 recentlywink I will give them another chance!

Mary Cooch

Ok -this is what I have tried:

• students upload a ppt as a submission
  • I click "download all assignments" and get the zipped folder of their work
  • I edit the ppts, zip it up again with the same name
  • I click "upload multiple feedback files" and I get the message "Confirm zip upload - no changes" Nothing is changed
  • So I try changing the name of the zipped folder - but still it says nothing is changed and still no feedback files appear.

Hmm.. I can upload them  one at a time by selecting the person and "send feedback files" but I can't use this method for multiple uploads as it uploads both feedback files to both students - unless I am doing this wrong.

If only we had some documentation !!big grin

Me!
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Thanks Mary - this looks like a bug in the current version (the testing instructions you tried should have worked and I just got the same result on my local install). I'll raise a bug for this and try and get it fixed ASAP.

Regards, Damyon

Me!

Actually - maybe not - I was testing wrong (I re-zipped the files as a tar.gz instead of a zip). It is working for me - I'll test on the QA site and report back.

Me!

Yes - it works fine on the QA site. 

I'll describe how I tested here:

Step one - Create a new assignment with "File submissions" and "Feedback files" enabled.

Step two - Login as a student and upload a file submission to the assignment (I uploaded a Libre Office document). 

Step three - Login as a teacher and "Download all submissions" (From the drop down menu above the grading table). 

Step four - Extract all the files from the zip to a new empty folder (Should only be one)

Step five - Edit the document (I added lots of comments) and save it

Step six - Select all files in the folder and create a new zip file from them. (Do not just zip the folder)

Step seven - Choose "Upload multiple files in a zip" from the drop down menu above the grading table 

Step eight - Upload the new zip file

Step nine - You should see that there is one new feedback file - click "Confirm" to save the files.

Step ten - Verify that one student received a new feedback file and it is the correct file. 

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Mary Cooch

Thanks Damyon - I will give this another go later today. I wonder if my stumbling blocks were your  steps 4 and 6 - if I zipped this in a different way? Back later

Mary Cooch

Got it! It's  all to do with how you zip them  up - very important to document, so I will, after lunchsmile

Me!

That's great Mary - the zip file you upload should basically be in the same format as the one you downloaded (you can even just add or edit files in that zip and re-upload it).

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Good to know how it works. But it would also be useful if Moodle could test if the folder as been zipped, and search files there in the zip (avoiding people who zip the folder to have problems).

Cool if it can be done for 2.4, or to keep in mind for 2.4.1 wink

Ray Lawrence
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Damyon, what's th eimpact of a student creating one or more folders at the submission stage?

Me!

Hi Ray,

The folders will not be recreated in the zip - you will just get a list of all the files for that student whether they were in a folder or not. 

- Damyon

Ray Lawrence

OK, Thanks.

Ray Lawrence

Cheryl's always been a handful!

Picture of Phil Tubman

For info, also if you zip files on a mac, you may get a folder included in the zip called _MACOSX_ which needs to be removed otherwise moodle will not recognise the changes in the files.

Thanks,

Phil

Mary Cooch

Thanks Phil; I just added your note to the docs. Assignment settings

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

For the benefit of those of us common mortals not using Macs, read more about this "Mac indiosyncrasy" here: Whats with __MACOSX in Zip files?

Joseph wink

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Thanks for the good read, Joseph. I actually [expletive deleted] the first time this happened to me. All I could think was apple had brought back the dreaded resource fork.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Should read "Mac idiosyncrasy".blush