General help

Picture of Tony Pattinson
Private files problem

Moodle version 2.3.3+ Wamp server 2.2

Background info. My first attempt at installing moodle (locally) flopped. While following an on line tutorial it became evident that some functionality was missing (Missing Icons and pictures in the Installation forum refers). To solve this problem  I deleted all the Moodle files and all the moodledata directory and its files. (At least I thought I had deleted all the relevant files). I did a complete new installation of Wamp and Moodle.

The new installation of moodle fixed the missing icons and pictures problem. However I discovered that some of the stuff I had added to the first install was still present -  a dummy course structure and some fictitious users. I presume there is something stored in my computer that was not in the moodle or moodledata directories.

In parallel I did another new install on my laptop following the directions of Mary Cooch's wonderful video (loved the Lancashire Lass accent smile) and it is working ok at least in the private files area.

Current problem. When I log in as the administrator I can access the privates files area and upload files without any problem. When I log in as a user I cannot access the private files area. I turned on the debugging feature and got this message:

Debug info: C:\wamp\moodledata/filedir/6b/7c/6b7c53cb5bd515e11b49eb98313eb55ecb6ff9eb
Error code: storedfilecannotread
Stack trace:
  • line 175 of \lib\filestorage\stored_file.php: file_exception thrown
  • line 806 of \lib\filestorage\stored_file.php: call to stored_file->update()
  • line 394 of \lib\filelib.php: call to stored_file->set_source()
  • line 255 of \lib\filelib.php: call to file_prepare_draft_area()
  • line 57 of \user\files.php: call to file_prepare_standard_filemanager()

I looked in the C:\wamp\moodledata/filedir directory and there is no sub directory 6b.

That's the limit of my s/w capability.

As far as I can tell I have all the correct moodle permissions set.

What should I do next? If one answer would be to dump everything and start from fresh how can I be certain I have deleted EVERYTHING; I thought I had already done that.

I am anxious to get courses designed and online but need a stable working platform before I can really get going.

Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Private files problem
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

"Lancashire lass"smile I am a Brummie who's spent the last 30 years in the North West - my mother spent my formative years desperately trying to get me to avoid that accent only for me to aquire a different one by osmosis! Could you explain how and where your regular user is trying to access the private files and what the error message is they get when they try? I don't mean the debugging which is very useful to those who understand it (not me) but the error message when they click either private files in their profile or the private files block.

Hi Mary

When I said Lancashire Lass I hesitated because my first thought was "Prestonian parlancier" (mais quand vous parlez le français vous avez une accente presque parisienne smile. By way of explanation although I now live in Montreal in a former lifetime I lived on Lytham Rd not far from your school.  I also lived in Brumigham for a while so I can handle that accent too. And now to answer your question here is what I get with debugging turned off.

Can not read file, either file does not exist or there are permission problems

I own a sailing school (www.ynotsailing.com) that is non operational during the winter months because the water is "stiff" to quote bambi so I have lots of opportunity to get the theory stuff on line. Hence my interest in Moodle.

Hope you can help.

Tony

Problem solved by dumping everything and doing a complete new install of Moodle. I think I had some left over corrupted files from the previous install. I am now able to develop my first Moodle course.big grin

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Oh well done Tony and good luck - and apologies for not replying sooner - this post sank under all the other posts that come into my google reader. (And it's cold and rainy heresmile )