Do not see End of Lesson page

Do not see End of Lesson page

di Annie Doucet -
Numero di risposte: 14

Hi,

I am a fairly new user to Moodle and we just installed version 2.3.3.  While setting up a new lesson, I cannot get my lesson to show me the End of lesson page regardless of the Jump settings I use.  For each section of my main course, I need to setup a lesson that appears just before the last page of each section and is either a true/false or multiple answer lesson with only one question each.   My expectation is that once a user answers the question, I show the response as either correct or incorrect with explanation and then the user moves either to End of Lesson page or to the last page of the course section (Depending on the lesson).  I've tried the Jump to End of Lesson and Next page, but neither works and it always bring me back to the course navitation.  I am including the setup I have for one lesson in particular. I would really appreciate any help on this matter.

Media dei voti:  -
In riposta a Annie Doucet

Re: Do not see End of Lesson page

di Joseph Rézeau -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators

Hi Annie,

I'm finding it quite difficult to understand your message. It appears you are mixing up two distinct concepts: that of Course Section (or Topic) and Lesson Activity.

Also I do not know what to do with the file you have attached, I do not recognize its format.

Joseph

In riposta a Joseph Rézeau

di Annie Doucet -

Hi,   The file attached can be opened with any zip program.  I had to zip it because it was a screenshot and it would not allow me to upload it otherwise because of the size.   As far as confusing concepts, I don't think so, It may just be my explanation that is not clear so let me try again:

I have created a course made up of four topics made up each of many pages.  For each topic, I have to create a lesson (true of false question or a multiple choice answer).  I have created the lesson by choosing the activity Lesson instead of the usual insert a page that I use.    A user flows through the course by clicking a Next button I created with a link to the next page.  This works great until I add a lesson.   It will flow nicely from let's say page 4 to the lesson activity, however when the lesson is over, I want the user to be redirected to the next page within my topic and it does not work, it keeps bringing me back to the full course topic list.  I've inserted below if that works best.  Where it gets confusing is within my course, because this was moved over from another system users are used to seeing each topic name with Lesson 1, Lesson 2, etc, but they are topics.

di David Cone -

Joseph:

My question, which I think is embedded within Annie's question, is strictly about the Lesson module. I am also a relative newbie.

In my previous course, when Jump is set to "End of Lesson" as in her screenshot, the user sees a page with stock Moodle verbiage "Congratulations - End Of Lesson Reached"  This end-of-lesson page also includes the link to the next activity, which I specified in the lesson settings.

However, in my current course, the user never sees such a page. When user clicks the button that should go to the Congratulations page, s/he goes straight back to the Course Outline. My settings and my jumps are just like before, but my result is different. I'm trying to find someone who can explain how I can get the expected behavior.

David

In riposta a David Cone

di vinay sheoran -

Hi,

I have converted word docx file to html and then upload it to the moodle 1.7.7 and xampp 1.7.0. In some courses all figures are shown but in few courses no images are shown in any lesson. Please do the neeedul.

One more thing when i click on lesson the url ishttp://192.168.5.139/server/moodle/file.php/?file=/57/lesson_1.htm

what is ?file= mean. If i remove this html lesson will appear but it is by default. Please tell me how can i remove it and what does it mean.

di Joseph Rézeau -
Immagine Core developers Immagine Particularly helpful Moodlers Immagine Plugin developers Immagine Testers Immagine Translators

Annie and David,

1.- you can easily insert a link to a page (or any other activity) in your Course with the following setting in your Lesson's settings:

The only problem is that this will not automatically take the student to that page/activity/resource, they will have to click on the link to the page/etc. rather than clicking on the Return to Course or View grades links.

2.- If your aim is to prevent the students from viewing a certain page/activity/resource unless they have taken a certain Lesson activity, you should consider using the Conditional Access feature.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

di Annie Doucet -

Hi Joseph,  thank you for your suggestion, however I tried this before and try it again after your suggestion and it still does not work.   Regardless of what I put in Link to an activity, it still bring me back to the topics page.  As well regardless of what I put in as a Jump either jump to End of lesson or next page it brings me back to the begin of the lesson with topics as soon as I click the button Continue after I see the response to my answer, I never to see the End of lesson page.    One of my technical people seems to think it might be an issue with our theme and IE so he is investigating. 

Thanks

Annie

di David Cone -

Joseph, thanks for the post and screenshot.

As Annie said, the image you kindly provided shows exactly what I have done.

My problem is that my last lesson page, which has its jump set to "End of Lesson" does not go to the Congragulations page you posted, it goes to the course page (as Annie also found). So the user never sees the link you highlighted. I have this working as expected in a different course, I have no idea why it works in one course and not another. 

However, your post reminded me that I can do it manually, since every activity has its own URL. I could just create a content page at the end of the lesson, and link to both the course page and the next activity.

Perhaps that's my best workaround.

Thanks again,

David

In riposta a David Cone

di Annie Doucet -

Hi David,

I figured out what my problem was.  I had the grading setup properly for the lesson, but there is also a parameter in the course administration, edit settings that asks if you want grading.  I had it set to no instead of yes and that's what caused the End of lesson page not to appear.  I thought it was only in the lesson edit, but it's the course edit settings.   Once I got my end of lesson page to show, the link to next activity worked and I was able to make some adjustments to that end of lesson page as I wanted to see it.  I hope this is your problem too as it was very easy to solve.

Annie

di Joseph Rézeau -

HI Annie, congratulations on spotting that bug, which has gone un-noticed for many years!

I've reported it (with a very easy patch) in the moodle bug tracker as issue MDL-36877 for which you can vote.

Joseph

di David Cone -

Yes, Annie, that worked, thank you.  I was pretty sure it had to be something outside the Lesson and its settings.

Joseph, thanks for your assistance and for reporting it to Tracker. 

For my purposes, I may still work around the issue by making my own "end of lesson" content page, b/c showing the grade book would raise other issues. But I'm relieved to know the problem has a simple answer.

di Annie Doucet -

Hi David,

Even if you set the course with the grade book, you can still set your lesson not to show it, that's how I have mine setup and is now working perfectly.  All the Course Show grade did was to allow me to see that End of lesson page.  Just thought you'd like to know.

Annie

di Joseph Rézeau -

Annie "Even if you set the course with the grade book, you can still set your lesson not to show it, that's how I have mine setup and is now working perfectly."

Now I am puzzled! This sounds like the exact opposite of what you wanted to do in your original post in this discussion! Maybe I am not understanding you, so let me rephrase this, using the exact terms used by Moodle.

Annie (speaking in "Moodle-speak") as re-phrased by Joseph:

Even if I set my Moodle course as Show gradebook to students: Yes, I can still set my lesson's last page (the page displaying the Congratulations - end of lesson reached message) to not display the View grades link.

Annie, can you please explain - step-by-step and using the Moodle terminology - how you achieve this?

Joseph

di vinay sheoran -

Hi,

I have converted word docx file to html and then upload it to the moodle 1.7.7 and xampp 1.7.0. In some courses all figures are shown but in few courses no images are shown in any lesson. Please do the neeedul.

One more thing when i click on lesson the url ishttp://192.168.5.139/server/moodle/file.php/?file=/57/lesson_1.htm

what is ?file= mean. If i remove this html lesson will appear but it is by default. Please tell me how can i remove it and what does it mean.

di David Cone -

Joseph:

I believe she is saying:

1. Course Settings>>Show Gradebook = YES
  2. Lesson Settings>>Grade Options>>Practice Lesson = YES

I'm not sure that hides the View Grades link, it just omits the lesson grade from the gradebook.

Annie?