blanking completion dependencies

blanking completion dependencies

by James Igoe -
Number of replies: 8

In 'Edit course completion settings' I'd like to select a blank option from the drop-down list in course dependencies, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Can this option be made blank or temporarily removed?

Once you've created other courses it seems to be mandatory that you have to select a course/courses that a learner is required to complete before this course can be marked as complete, even if no mandatory courses are required.

The message "Course completion criteria must be set for a course to appear in this list" appears which indicates that perhaps if I changed the course completion criteria for courses then they would not appear. Unfortunately course completion criteria are required for courses.

Cheers
James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Igoe

Re: blanking completion dependencies

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think it is mandatory that you have to select a course - you just don't click into that box and select one.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Igoe -

Thanks for the reply Mary.

Your solution seems very straightforward, though I'm not sure I was allowed not to select a course. I'll try to leave that section of  the course completion settings next time I create a course.

James

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Igoe -

Unfortunately if another available course has been set to have course completion criteria it appears in this list.

There is no blank (or 'none') option within the 'courses available' drop-down list so the box cannot be left blank, i.e. a course is automatically chosen from the list even if I don't select a course.

Back to the drawing board...

In reply to James Igoe

by Aaron Barnes -

Hi James,

Unfortunately there is an open bug for this http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27114 which has yet to be completed (my fault).

In the meantime, the problem I believe you are having is that the form does not recognise a non-empty select box with nothing selected. Currently the only work around is to delete the course and create a new one.

Sorry for the bad news! I'll do my best to have another look at the patch soon.

Aaron

In reply to Aaron Barnes

by Mia Musolino -

not sure I completely understand which course to delete -- the one that is the prerequisite or the one that is dependent on it?

In reply to Mia Musolino

by James Igoe -

Hi Mia

I created a new dummy course and made this the prerequisite course for all courses. Once I had assigned this to all the courses I then deleted the dummy course. I went back into each course and clicked save. The result of this is that 'completion dependencies' is not selected in any course.

It's a slightly clunky workaround but it does work. I'm looking forward to this bug being fixed.

Regards
James

In reply to James Igoe

by Mary Catherine Chauvin -

To deselect a course dependency in Course Completion, [Ctrl] + click and the course is no longer highlighted or a dependency.

In reply to Mary Catherine Chauvin

by Matt Nagy -

I've found that this actually doesn't work. It pretends to work, but after you save the settings, it goes right back to having the previously selected course dependency.